Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown MAG 1x15 vs Electric Blue 1x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LaXu, Feb 3, 2005.

1. LaXu

LaXu

Feb 2, 2005
    Finland
    I'm looking for my first bass amp and the Ashdown MAG C115-300 and Electric Blue 15-180 combos seem good for the price (499€ and 439€ ) and also quite compact in size (hey, it rhymes! :p).

What I'm wondering is what are the differences between these two? Judging from the specs, the Electric Blue is just lower powered and has a less fancy VU meter (LEDs vs. needle).

Since the amp will be mostly used at home and for recording, I don't think I really need 300Ws since it'll be used at low volumes anyway.

So my main concern is that is the MAG better sounding to warrant the extra 60€?

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I personally would opt up for the MAG combo. Trust me, later you will be wanting to jam with other people and the little 180 might not cut it volume wise. Just remember its better to have too much power than not enough.

3. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    The EB 15-180 is a good amp for a practice rig/low volume stuff, but for anything serious, I would go with the MAG300 too. Can never have to much reserve power!

:)

4. LaXu

LaXu

Feb 2, 2005
    Finland
  5. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I know this doesn't apply to the actual comparison you're asking about, but I have an Ashdown amp... an ABM Evo-II 500. It's the rack-mount version with the chrome face... looks way cool in the rack, along with my Korg tuner. I love the amp, it has some great features and sounds great... I blow it through a Bergantino NV215 cabinet (2 x 15" and 1 x 6"). I have a 10,000 sq.ft. warehouse where me and the guys practice. I do a lot of stuff on my own, so I can really crank it up... awesome!

You know... gearheads always say, "There's no substitute for cubic inches." I would think the same reasoning applies here. Just like Kelly Lee said, "...it's better to have too much power than not enough." Yeah! Kinda like my set-up! :cool: