Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown MAG-250 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stu hamm rules!, Mar 22, 2003.

1. ive been testing amps recently, and having compared a gallien-krueger, a peavey and an ashdown, i liked the sound of the ashdown the most. The pnly concern i have is with volume. when connected to an external speaker it is plenty loud, but it's gonna be a while before i can afford that. I'm wondering wheter or not this is loud enough to handle small gigs. The concern is mostly based on my having heard that ashdowns are quiet.

The model number is ashdown mag c115-250. I found this for £400, but found a mag 115 400 for £570. I would be a lot happier spending less at the moment, but i dont want to have to compromise getting a quality amp that will last me. What do you think i should do? and advice /help would be much appreciated.

2. i would really appreciate a reply!

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've got a MAG 1x12 combo (200watts @ 4 ohms) that can keep up with an average drummer and 2x12 guitar combo. The non-blue driver it came with is real weak thou. If I keep it, I'm gonna replace the driver

paid $350 USD a few months ago

4. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Sorry I didn't spot this sooner..

I've got a c115-200 (not the 250 your looking at) at its pretty loud. I tend to use it at blues nights and with my EUB.

Nice enough sound, not quite as "full a sound" as the ABM range but it is quite a bit cheaper - and a shed load lighter.

It all depends on who you normally play with. If you have a guitarist who goes to 11 at rehearsals then the 400 isn't going to keep up with him either

5. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    I use an Ashdown Mag250 with a 4x10 cab... i am doing some fairly decent size gigs around the UK. I find it loud enough. I do have a 15" extention cab, but i very rarely take it with me to gigs... what sort of sized gigs are you likely to be doing? and are you likely to get support from the PA?

DC :)