Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown MAG 300 - difference between 1x15 and 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Meehaw, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    I would really appreciate Your advice.

I've been saving for a new amp for some time and after checking all the possible brands I finally decided on Ashdown MAG series. The problem is that I need to buy a new bass too, which leads to a problem: if I buy 2x10, I will have to wait much longer(even after next summer) for the bass.

So here's the question: Is the tonal difference between 1x15 (no tweeter) and 2x10(plus tweeter) worth the wait?

I guess I need the amp to be versatile (different styles) and can't buy the bass first, because that would leave me ampless.

Thank You in advance for giving Your opinion.

2. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    ... Guess I'll change the question a little bit. Now it should be: Which one would you prefer: 2x10 250W or 1x15 307W?
    I would really appreciate your opinion.I go shopping this week and don't want to look undecided in front of the salesmen.;)

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Will the shop have both models in stock? If so, then you need to compare the two using bass lines covering the range of styles you expect to play. You're getting away from the area where other people's opinions will help much - both are likely to be good sounding, reliable units so, unless the extra cost of the 2x10 is significant enough to be a deciding factor (your call) you've got to see what works best for you.

FWIW, I've got a Mag 250 head and mini 1x15 cab, both of which I'm very pleased with...

Wulf

4. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    Look at my location and guess:D. I can order the 1x15 307 and I might be able to order the 2x10 250 - the one which just went out of production(so it would be just about the same price).
    I can only base my choice on opinions :( and I'm just wondering: less power-2x10+tweeter, more power-1x15 and no tweeting for you, mister!

I play hard rock mostly and I love tapping. Do you think the 10s will add more definition to the sound? I am worried about not getting through.

P.S.Thanks for answering!:)

5. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    Jazzcatb17: thanks, but I guess I would have to double the price on the trip to Poland, which would leave me without cash for a decent cab:( .
    Or, wouldn't it? I,ll ask my family from NJ.

Nevertheless, it's difficult to order something over the big pond based on a picture from the site, not of the actual item.:meh:

6. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    if your tapping, go 2 10, f your groovin go 15

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I find that my set up works well with the kind of things I'm playing currently (jazz, soul, funk) and it also had no problems when I used it last year for a classic rock gig. Contrary to my expectations, the Ashdown mini 1x15 has had no problems with any of the slapping, tapping and other tomfoolery that I've thrown at it...

I haven't tried either of the combos you are looking at, but I'm pretty sure that either will sound great. Therefore, factors like cost and weight are going to be key considerations...

Wulf

8. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    :D :D :D
    If it only was that simple... I play tap grooves!!!
    :hyper::bassist:

9. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    Well.. sometimes. I play mainly fingerstyle.:)

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What's the reason for wanting to get something that's available to try locally? I appreciate that Ashdown gear normally gets very good reviews here on TB but what does your local shop actually have in?

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" - I'm sure this saying, in some shape or form, is probably found in Poland. Is there a good reason for not going with something you can try before you buy?

Wulf

11. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    Wait a minute, that would be a long list:
    -Trace Elliot: Far from my price range.
    -Peavey: didn't like it.
    -Laney,Laney and Laney: actually there is one which I liked and is in my price range, but it has swimmed through flooding, and is in the insurance company's custody for a non specified period. DB300C Just my luck.
    -Hartke: A few of my friends used them and found it weak sounding and unreliable.At least the models I can afford.
    -And a few others about which even the salesmen who sell them say they're worthless.

They offered me to order an Ashdown without me having to buy it, but I know that it still is the best buy (tons of resarch).

...It s actually funny when one looks at it from a distance...

Oh, the proverb goes: "Lepszy go³¹b w rêku, ni¿ dziêcio³ na sêku" heehee...realy!

12. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    From what you've said, I'd ask them to order one (or preferably both) of the Ashdowns - if they'll order it without you promising to buy it, they are probably (a) helpful and (b) aware that if you don't buy it someone else will.

Once you get to hear one (or both) then you can decide if it really works for you or whether you'd prefer them to order you a Laney (or maybe the water damaged one will be back and on offer).

And if you have to choose one of the two, my vote would probably be for the 1x15.

Happy hunting...

Wulf

13. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    Thank you for your advice, guys!