1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown MAG-300 EVO II question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by volker, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Hi all!

Is there any difference between using the 4x10" combo or the 2x10" combo plus 2x10" extension cab? (except for the latter being more expensive)

Also, would it be better to add a 1x15" cab to the 2x10" combo instead of a 2x10"? I'm into the bass sounds of bands like Rush, Stranglers, Cure, Pumpkins, Muse. My main bass is an active 4-string Ibanez MC900, but I also play a passive 5-string Warwick Streamer 'Rockbass'. I also use effects such as Octaver, Overdrive, Chorus on my Boss ME-50B.

A store in my town's got an Ashdown sale on, and I'll definitely go and check the stuff out, but I also thought it won't hurt to get my fellow TBer's input.

Thanks guys!

V :)

PS: I've done a search, and I'm pretty sure that the 1x15" combo's not the right one for me.

2. 1kinal

1kinal Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    It's not extremely clear on the ashdown website or in the manual but I'm pretty confident that both the 2x10 and 4x10 combos are 8 ohms which means that in order to get the full 300 watts of the head, you need a second cab.

I've not played the MAG 115 so I can't really comment on it. Generally speaking, some people prefer 2x10+1x15 while some others prefers to keep the same speakers (10's) when adding a second cabinet.

I've played the MAg 210 and 410 and found the lows to be a bit muddy and unfocussed so I'd be tempted to go with the 1x15 with MAG cabinets.

The best way to find out is to try it out if both are in stock at the dealer.

3. Hey thanks for your reply, 1kinal!

I've been to that shop today - Unfortunately they only had the 115 combo and the 410 one there.

The 410 combo is quite heavy! So having the 210 one with a 210 extension cab would definitely make things easier when carrying them down several flights of stairs and also when trying to fit them in the car!

I knew you'd need an 8 Ohm extension cab to get the full power out of the 115 combo, but I had actually presumed the 410 combo's speaker connection was at 4 Ohms! But no: Also 8 Ohms! Which means, the configuration out of 210 combo plus 8 Ohms 210 cab gets you the amp's full 300 Watts, whereas the 410 combo doesn't!

And 1kinal, I agree: The lows did sound kind of muddy on both combos, especially the 115! And for having to pay around 1.5 times its price to get the 410 combo, the latter still sounded too 'boomy' for my taste (although I'm not entirely sure if the shop's acoustics weren't to blame to a certain extent).

Too bad this particular shop didn't have the 210 combo and the 210 and 115 cabs in store. The guy said he could get them sent from one of the chain's other shops, though. I might actually take him up on this offer, because apart from the muddy lows I did like those amps' overall sound!

Cheers,

4. I am now the proud owner of a new Ashdown MAG C210T-300! 'Yay' for me! :D

I did try both the 210 and 115 extension cabs, and personally I'd definitely prefer the 115, but I then decided to wait with buying one until our band's actually got any gigs booked (We've only just got a new guitarist and a new drummer). The combo just by itself will completely do for band practice.

I'm really happy with the combo's sound - Comes quite close to my old 2 x 12" cab's (which unfortunately I had to leave overseas when moving to NZ)! And its weight is bearable (just!)

Cheers,