1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown MAG 300H v ABM 500 Evo II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by timmyc, Nov 30, 2006.

1. timmyc

timmyc

Nov 29, 2005
    UK
    I really like the tone of my MAG at the moment and was just wondering how does this sound compare to that of the ABM with no valve drive. I want to achieve the tone of the MAG (maybe with some more balls) but be able to kick in the valve drive for some meaty rock breaks.

I did a search but could not find anything of particular use,

Thanks

2. Low D. THANK YOU FOR THAT SITE!!!!!! omg i wanted something like that for ages!

3. :D Anytime.

4. just wish there was another site like that with clips of GK's and other amps lol

5. Maybe they ll have on when they ll make an update or something, who knows?

6. timmyc

timmyc

Nov 29, 2005
    UK
  7. if you can afford too, go the extra and get the ABM.

8. Well I got pretty dissappointed with my MAG - especially as one of my students used to roll all the knobs around when I wasn't looking so I'd arrive at a gig, start playing and ....duh!.

Recently I was demo'ing a technique and quickly plugged into a Fender DeLuxe Reverb guitar amp that was ahndy - it was the sound I was looking for. Later I fired up the Ashdown and DeLuxe and A/B'd the two until I got close to the DeLuxe Reverb's sound. So here are the settings I ended up with (and I've marked them on the amp face with spirit pen to frustrate that little sod of a student!). I slightly changed these at the first gig - so these are gigged loud at these settings

Bright in EQ in Deep Bass in
    EQ knobs left to right - 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock, 5 o'clock, 2 o'clock and 1 o'clock
    Sub Harmonics in at 9 o'clock

My MAG also sounds so much better with an extension - I have my own 15" + Mid Horn loaded 1000 watt PA to do that job for me. I listen to the amp as a backline/monitor pretty much flat out.

9. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    Having spent time with both, and owning the MAG. I really couldnt justify the extra for the ABM.

The quality was ever so slightly better, but all of the added features would sit unused for me. I found the basic tone to very similar, with the ABM perhaps a bit more clear, and the MAG bigger and fuller.

10. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    After rerading your original question, it sounds like you have the MAG already.

Ever thought about buying a Sansamp or similar? That would get you the MAG sound but with a valve grind effect.

11. I've just upgraded to an ABM300 from a MAG C210t-300... I loved the MAG to bits, but the ABM just blows it away in every aspect. The tone has the most earth shaking lows, but without being muddy - the definition is incredible.

ABM all the way!!

12. timmyc

timmyc

Nov 29, 2005
    UK
    I might upgrade to the MAG 600 to get the extra power and stick some sort of valve drive pedal in my chain, but I would really like to have it all in one package. I wouldn't say no to a little more low end either.

13. Mate, even the ABM300 is amazingly loud through my MAG115, so i'd really advise just going ABM. Don't get me wrong, the MAG tone is actually incredible but the ABM tone just sinks it

14. correcto mundo!!

the valve is a great feature to have, when i wanna play in my rock band or have that smooth valve sound, i get that valve pumping and rock it out.

If i want to get a smooth clear defined sound for jazz or pop, i turn off the valve.

it does add extra tones and sounds to the amp, just makes the amp really versitile.

15. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Ive gigged both a MAG 307 C-115 and a ABM 325EVOII head going in to the MAG speaker.
    You cant get a MAG sound from a ABM. i ended up getting rid of the ABM for other reasons though. The ABM sound is great but i always liked the MAG sound better.
    I believe the low EQ is set lower on the ABM and on the MAG its 100hz so you cant get the same tone on the ABM.

Of course the ABM sound is great and load of people like it, i am just replying to the original question.

16. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Actually thats the opposite to what i found. both going in to the same speaker (not at the same time of course) and the MAG was louder, or at least it cut through a lot more (and i was told this by a sound man out front). i think its more to do with the tone though. as i have just posted above the MAG has a boost at 100hz which gives it punch. I dont believe the ABM has any control around this freq and i felt it seemed softer, even more wooly sounding.
    Again, just my experience.

17. PWV

PWV Gold Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Tacoma
    Hey Tactician, that's almost the exact same settings I use on my MAG 600R. (I sometimes dial in the SH at 1:00 or so just cuz it's there... :cool: ) I love it dialed in like that (and like you, I sometimes get to the gig and discover my toddler has already adjusted them for me).

I love both my MAG and my ABM EVO II 900. I find the ABM is more versatile for the "subtle" gigs/smaller rooms. But I love the tone on the MAG (and I don't think I could replicate it with the ABM)

My band played a big ballroom last year. The band was on the floor, not the elevated stage. And the MAG powering the Avatar 2x12 was incredible. I think the effect of that SubHarmonic turned up with the cab on a hardwood ballroom floor was something I won't forget.

18. Yes that sub harmonic button kicks in something more than just subs. Seems like there's something of a 10ms digital delay played in as well (sure it isn't - but that's what it sounds like) and gives a sorta sub-harmonics chorus effect to the extra lows. I quite like a bit of that but it muddy's up the sound if you use it too much in a live situation. Can imagine using it all the way in the studio though.

When I want more volume I have a pair of 15" + Mid cabs and a 1400 watt power amp that I can slave off the DI out on the MAG. 1900 watts - 2 x 15's, 4 x 10's, 2 x mid-horns, and an HF, all in 3 x cabs......cool eh?

19. Gwad! this amp sounds so loud at these settings - it's like its been on steroids since I reset the EQ! I had the speakers behind me on a chair (yeh I know - real professional move using a chair! Must get a rack but the chair was just waiting to be used .... soooo...) and I had this heavy thump in the chest all night - great! I almost felt self-concious it was soooo loud ............. but I got over that by song two.