Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown MAG 300H vs. Behringer BX3000T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by floydbass, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Which one should I get? Which is more reliable and has a better sound for jazz/slap funk? Please weigh in with your opinions.

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Use the search function on this forum. It has been discussed at length too many times and it always turns into a mud slinging contest. Thats all I have to say. I'm out :ninja:

3. Not a question you can get an answer to from us. We can give you opinions until you're blue in the face but the thing to do is go listen to both of them side by side with the same cab and with *your* bass. Whichever one sounds better is the one to get. If you're really patient you can find some amazing deals on used gear. I saw an SWR 4004 on the for sale forum for $175. That was a great deal on a 400 watt head. I've seen Hartke HA3500's go for around $250, another great deal on a 350 w head with tube preamp. (if you're into that vibe).

My advice is go listen, and buy used. And be patient.

BTW I just scored a mag 300 on a going-out-of-biz sale for $199 plus shipping.

4. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    I'm new here. I am not interested in entering any Wars of Religion regarding Behringer products. I would, however, love to hear from anybody who uses the Ultrabass BX3000T and might have some insight into the role of the "140Hz" and ""1.6kHz" knobs. I'm kinda old and slow, and I don't really understand their purpose. The user's manual is somewhat cryptic on the subject. Or so it appears to me, anyway.

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Sounds like they're just a para-EQ, two band, one centered at 140Hz, one at 1.6kHz. Just like a graphic EQ, or EQ on your bass even, you can boost/cut those freqs.

Ray

6. I used one last week (Behringer). Color me surprised.

for 200 bucks? Wow. Ethics aside, not bad at all.

7. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    That's it exactly.

8. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    $150 from zzounds blemish stock.

9. I had to make a similar decision a year ago when i was buying my first real amp. I went with the Behringer, but if I had known about what kind of company Behringer is, I definetaly(sp) would have went with the Ashdown. The fact I got a Behringer made sick when I foud out about Behringer. Anyways, the amps are very similar (suprise :scowl: ) but I would get the Ashdown, will definetaly be more reliable. ;)

10. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    ::Mortal Kombat Voice::
    IT HAS BEGUN!!! :ninja:

:p

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland

Has the Behringer been unreliable?

12. 76Tbird

76Tbird

Mar 18, 2003
    I have been purposely running my BX3000T at VERY low impedance, whatever 6 eight-ohm speakers comes to. (around 1 ohm i think) Basically trying to blow it up for the past 7 months with no success. I'm sold on its reliability and build quality. :eek:

13. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    parallel = 1.333 Ohm
    series = 48 Ohm

I think I got that right. I believe you just add for series, for parallel the BX3000T manual has the forumal I used.

It's cheap, reviews say it is reliable. So the company may be doing bad stuff as of late, but I don't have the money to get anything more expensive.

14. I don't gig, so I don't how reliable it would be in that sense. Behringer stuff I think is made in China, so the parts are probably of poor quality. But it has never messed up on me personally. :meh:

Right now I am just using it as a temporary power amp with my BBE pre until i can aford a QSC power amp. :D

15. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    There are other wiring possibilities. My 6x10 has three *series pairs* wired in parallel, for a total of 5.333 ohms.

Wouldn't hurt the amp at all.

16. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Does anyone know when the Behringer BX6000T is coming out? I may give up and order an Ampeg B2RE if they don't hurry up. :eek:

17. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Made in China does not necessarily mean poor quality. It either works or it doesn't work. Ashown Mag series is made in China. Does that mean it too is probably of poor quality? Not from what I hear.

18. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I tried two of the MAG 300 heads (I thought the first one was broken -absolutely quiet for 300W-). The second (out of the box) had the same "problem", only could be loud with everything almost maxed. But the cab (guess what?, a MAG410T -not so- "deep" cab) farted a lot. Asked for another and it was the same (and only "deep" thing in these cabs is the name). So finally farting was over when they changed the MAG cab for some used EBS 4x10" they had there for sale. But it was still quiet so I asked for a BX3000. Now that combination (BX3000+EBS 4x10) sounded cool. Not totally related to this, but very close, I also had another terrific live experience with an ABM 300 EVOII head and ABM410T cab (quiet and nothing but farts when you want to make it sound with a minimum of that "deep" sound they claim). Just MY experiences, so please don't start throwing things at me 'cause I know most of you hate Behringer and love Ashdown. I simply don't, and so far my experience tells me not to buy Ashdown even if I were pointed at with a gun.

ANDRUCA

19. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Bad_Habit_Bassist was dead on... They allow you to boost or cut frequencies in the 140Hz (low mids) and 1.5kHz (upper mids) range.

For what it's worth, I A/B'd both the BX3000T and an Ashdown MAG300 back in September of last year. I doubt most of the other Behringer offerings could make this claim, but I found the BX had the upper hand in a number of areas... More range in the controls, more punch (which I prefer), the footswitchable shape control was a nice addition, allowing you to select between two completely different voicings. So far, based upon other owners here, there have been very few incidents of problems with it.

- Ugly.