Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Mag 300H VS GK 400RB-IV

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RawB103, May 5, 2005.

1. RawB103

RawB103

Mar 24, 2005
    Virginia
    I am planning on getting the Avatar 2x12'' cab and was wondering which head would go better with it. (A more powerful head isnt really an option just because of money funds at the moment).

I play 5 string fingerstyle rock, chili peppers and primus style funk metal, and jazz, I am big into variety, it is probably my main concern out of an amp. I like to dial a lot of different sounds, from bassy reggae to snappy. I think right now I am leaning towards the GK but even with Riks music it is still more then the Ashdown off the Avatar website. I am wondering if the extra money is worth it. Thanks for your input.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    For funk, get the GK. But I see you are doing a bit of rock as well, so I would have to choose the Ashdown, which has an awesome tube and solid state preamp, so you can do either funk or rock.

3. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I used to have a GK400RBIII. If the RBIV is anything like it, which it is, it will be awesome. I just can't stress enough how awesome it is. I never should have sold mine.

4. The Backline 600 is slightly more power than the 400RB-IV, but quite a bit less. They're voiced just about the same.

5. The MAG300 is all solid state. The higher end ones have tubes.

I'd go with the GK but that's just my opinion. Dan, How is the voicing of the 400RBIV different than the 800RB which I used to own.

6. I presently have an Ashdown MAG 300H and a GK 400RBIII and I like the Ashdown better for nearly everything. It's a matter of preference only, but the ashdown is quite a bit warmer and still does funk and jazz stuff really well. The GK is punchier, but IMO is too sterile for the stuff I do. Both are great amps though.