Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Mag 300H with 4x10 and 1x15 Cabs...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Martybass, May 29, 2005.

1. ...Or can I do better in the (approximate) price range?

I'm a complete rig newbie and I'm looking for a replacement for my Peavey TKO combo. I've played the Ashdown rig (though not with my bass, they had the same model at the shop but they refused to get it out of the security link, and I was on holiday so didn't have my own) and I quite liked it. But yeah, just wondering if there were better deals out there.

My band is primarily medium alternative rock but we have a tendency to move away from that at times so I'd like a 'jack of all trades' as far as that is possible. I like my Peavey's tones though some can be a bit toooo clanky.

Oh, and I play mainly fingerstyle, but pickstyle and slap have their places too.

Sorry if this is alot to take in or if it's asking too much :bag:, I'm just trying to cover all the bases in what and how I play.

So yeah, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Once I have an idea of course I'll try to test them out but a few starting points would be nice :)

Cheers,
    Marty

2. Bump...

Someone please help, you're all fab! :p

3. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    I'm in the same boat. At the minute i have a B150, but it becoming such a pain to cart around, albeit a really nice solid amp, its just too much. I'm thinking of buying a head and cab along the lines of Ashdown, i have tried them at the local rehersal studios and they are nice.

The best thing to do is get out and try as much gear as you can. See what is out there for your cash. What is your total, about £1k? For that there is quiet a choice. Do a lot of online research as well.

Cheers and Beers

Andy

4. Marty, I have a Mag 200 1x15 combo and I find it sufficient for a 100 to 200 seat venue. Keep in mind that I'm 59 years old and while we play loud, it isn't outrageously loud. Blues, 50s & 60s rock, country rock, rockabilly and western swing. I usually play with two guitarists and their rigs are usually amps like a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, a Peavey Classic 30 with 1x12 extension cab, a Peavey Classic 50 2x12 or an Ashdown Peacemaker 40 with a 2x12 extention cab. Add a drum kit, steel guitar and sometimes a sax or harp player. At one point I was thinking about getting a second Mag 20 1x15 combo and running them together for lsrger venues. Hope this helps.

5. I suppose £1k is about what I'm looking at. I also hope this would be my last amp/cab shopping trip for at least a long time. The only thing is that I have no idea where to start from. Going British would be cool...I think, I mean just for the hell of it, and I suppose for customer service and shipping reasons too. That said, Ashdown equipment is still cheaper in the US, probably because its now all made in China or something.

The only three companies I've really thought of are Ashdown, Kustom (after hearing all the rave reviews here, though I can never get the vision of my cousin's 10W G****r amp out of my head when I think Kustom :bag:, and Yamaha with their digital amp. The last two are a bit more expensive than the Ashdown though and neither company seem to have 1x15 cabs so I'd have to look elsewhere for them.

Oops, rambled a bit there. Cheers for the reply though :), I was starting to lose hope. Seems like the whole amp forum crew have gone on holiday!

Cheers,
    Marty

[Edit]: Ooh, another reply, thanks! Yeah, I wouldn't say we were outrageously loud either (though, some of the venues just seem to make us loud :meh: ). I've only played through a completely used and abused Mag 200 and I'm sure my Peavey would have done the job much better in that instance, but the sound tech wouldnt set up 2 amps. But I'm sure the fact that it was completely abused was the reason for the tonal problems that amp had.

6. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    I'm gonna get around to checking out the Yamaha gear soon! Hopefully!

I really can't believe it is that good the only issue is finding someone who can supply more than just a 1x15 cab, i wouldn't mind a 4x10 to go along with it!

Going British is cool, if you really want to be paitrotic (sp) check out the Marshall VBA400 and the 4x10 that comes with that. They are built like a Brick Out house! If you got a little left over consider getting the 8x10 monster as well! :D

Cheers and Beers

Andy

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I use a MAG300 and it is pretty versatile. Maybe try some Avatar speakers with it.

8. I thought the Yam was really nice, I tried it hooked up to a 4x10 with a USA Jazz. Yam do their own 4x10s, but no 1x15s. The Yam has another plus that its incredibly light and small for its power output.

9. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    I've got the Yamaha Catalogue and they actually look really good on the specs sheet. I really need to find one and play it!

What was the one you played in the states like?

Cheers and Beers

Andy

10. I use an ABM 500 evo head through a mini 48 (4x8) and a mini 15 (1x15) , amazing sound , no loss of bottom end and a lot easier to move about than a 4x10 and a standard 15 , take a look at the mini cabs before you buy :D

11. Ashdown Mag 300T Combo + Ashdown 1x15 Deep Cab.

Combo alone for small gigs and/or rehearsals, Combo and Cab when you want to move some more air.

Q.E.D. ;) ;) ;) ;)

12. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I use that Ashdown rig, only my head is inside the 410 cab (yes, I use a combo, kill me). I can vouch for the loudness, quality and sound of this rig.

13. Nonono, I played a MIA Jazz through it in Bath, lol. I didn't fiddle with the settings much but I liked what I heard. Wasn't playing the full 500W as it was only one cab. The 4x10 was strong though, nice and bassy with a decent treble twang at the top too.

bassinstinct and Jack, I was thinking of getting that kind of setup. The only think I can think of against that is if I wanted to use the 1x15 on its own and a slight portability issue. It's cheaper that way too. One question though, is the 'cab' in the combo at 8 ohms or 4? What I'm after is whether the full 300W is only available with an extension cab.

Cheers all,
    Marty

14. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    The combos only give 8ohms, so ~180W.

15. ...and then with the extension cab I get the full 307?

16. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Sorry having a really bad day!!! :(

Just wanna play my bass!!! ;)

17. Yeah mate, I know what you mean. Damn ASs, getting in the way :p

Gallien-Krueger anyone? What are they actually like? I've heard good and bad. Also, has anyone else got any other suggestions to chuck in? At the moment it's Ashdown all the way!

18. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Yup, and those 7 watts make all the difference.

19. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Ditto - same rig as myself....and very happy with it (as is my back and my chiropractor!)

20. Hey man. At the moment I am using the Ashdown 4X10 combo, as well as the deep 1X15 cab. It does have a really cool sound. The only problem I have is that at high volumes, my fifth string causes a bit of farting. I have recently added an ada-mp1 to the setup, as i picked it up cheap, and this has definately helped, what bass did you say you were using ?