Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown MAG 300H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeyImMatt, Oct 28, 2004.

1. HeyImMatt

HeyImMatt

Oct 27, 2004
    So I'm considering either the Ashdown MAG 300H or the Behringer BX3000T for my bass head and was wondering what people thought. I have read the reviews for the Behringer, but haven't found much for the Ashdown. I really like the Ashdown a lot, but that is only based on internet research. I play different styles including jazz, funk, soul, rock and classic rock and use a variety of techniques including finger picking, tapping, and slapping ( I almost never play with a pick). I want deep, warm tones for my finger picking, but also want deep bass notes and warm/high (but not too high) for the slapping and popping. Any thoughts?

It's great to have the resource of fellow bass players in a forum such as this. So thank you in advance.

Matt

2. HeyImMatt

HeyImMatt

Oct 27, 2004
    I forgot to ask one other question.

I have heard that the Ashdown provides the British sound. What is that sound exactly? I am not sure if I want that or not. Could someone fill me in as to what that is?

Thanks,
    Matt

3. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    IMHO definitely go for the Ashdown. It has a warm, deep bass sound which is almost 'creamy'. :)

The Behringer, though a reasonable amp, seems to have a reputation for unreliability and of course just the word 'Behringer' is often considered a dirty word around these parts for reasons you either know about or are best not raked up again... :ninja:

4. gamera

gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    The MAG300H is the amp I use. It is pretty warm, but you can still get some bite out of it. So far I have nothing but good things to say about this head. I guess it really depends on what kind of sound you are going for. I will tel you that the built in sub or octaver just explodes the bottom end. Plus the amp is a lot louder than one would think. I got a great 2x12 cab from Avatar and easily keep up with two 100 watt Marshalls.

5. HeyImMatt

HeyImMatt

Oct 27, 2004
    2 Questions.

1) What exactly does the Sub-Harmonizer do on the amp? Is it an octaver?

2) I am most likely gonna get a cab from Avatar, but am leaning more towards the 4x10. What made you go with the 2x12? I don't know too much about the differences between the 2 types. Also, did you go with 8 ohms or 4 ohms?

Thanks,
    Matt

6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    If you want an amp that has a real good quality, very efficient EQ, versatility and reliability, get the Ashdown. I have the MAG300R, which is exactly the same as the MAG300H but rackable, and I am more than happy with it.

The subharmonizer doubles your note one octave down. It's efficient on low notes, less on higher ones, IMO.

For the cabs, I suggest a pair of Ashdown MAG210T. They are powerful, well defined, reliable, light and very affordable.

Cheers,
    JL