Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown mag 4x10 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hetsscaryguy, Jul 8, 2004.

1. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    ok so here my story, i play mostly metal/rock and am forming my first band this summer. that band though will play mostly rock stuff like audioslave, chilis, rage, pearl jam, and other stuff i cant think of, those are influences but we plan on writing our own stuff. so i need a new amp to upgrade from my trace eliot boxer 15. i want to go with ashdown because ive played one before and i am in love with their sound. so i'm looking at a mag. i couldnt be bothered with an intermediat combo like a fender rumble coz the way i see it is im going to buy a good loud amp at some stage so why not now when im still young and have very few things else to spend money on except beer. so now my predicament, i was thinking of getting a mag head with a mag 4x10 cab and then i saw the mag combo and cant decide whether i should just get the combo and save €30 ($35). the thing is im not exactly the worlds strongest man and that thing weighs nearly 40 kgs (80lbs) so itr could be hard to move around which will be a pain in the arse so what do you think should i just get the head and cab seperate?

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Me personally, I would buy the separate head and cab. Its easier to move and if you decide to upgrade a componet you can.

3. kyo

kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    i havent played either. but a difference of $35 just isnt worth it. i'd say go with the head + cab because its more versatile, you could use one or the other if you get new gear, not be stuck.

as for weight the stack is the better option there too, its alot easier to carry half the weight in 2 trips instead all the weight in one.

4. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    yeah i just wanted to get other peoples opinions on the matter

5. I also love ashdown sound and have the mag and the 1*15 and 2*10 cabs

you'll be much happier with seperate head and cab... also when your playing some gigs and there is equipment sharing (may or may not apply to you) having a seperate head is such an advantage... also saves time between bands changing gear round.