1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown Mag 4x100 300w combo broken.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pearl_jammin, Dec 4, 2006.

1. My month-old Ashdown Mag cut out in the middle of a song last night. I've only had it about a month, wasn't using it at more than half volume and it just cut out.

Got home this morning and replaced the internal fuse, used a new power lead, wished and hoped it would work and flicked the switch and POOF, the internal fuse went with a pop and I got very angry....

So does anyone have any idea what it could be, I have the warrenty obviously and I'll send it off soon to get replaced, but I'm just curious as to what went wrong? Obviously it's drawing too much power which is blowing the fuse, so some element must have blown on the inside.

2. Any help anyone? I have a gig coming up in two days and no amp :(

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Get in touch ASAP with Ashdown customer service. They are kind, responsive and helpful.

4. if you have only had it a month then you should be able to take it back to the shop you got it from and swap it, if not your warranty will cover it but like jay amel said get in touch with ashdown and hopefully they can put you in touch with a certified repair center or help you out how ever they can, there have been alot of good comments about ashdown backup so give em a ring.

5. I filled a technical fault form on their website yesterday and no response yet...

6. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Maybe give them a chance to find your request ? 24 or 48 hours still is a short time to get a reply.

7. They still havn't replied so I'm ringing them today.

I might just take it to my local Ashdown dealer shop and get their tech to see if they can find the problem/fix it.

8. when you replaced the internal fuse did you replace it with a like for like?
    only reason why i ask is i read on here somewhere that the internal fuses had been fitted with a lower amp fuse than required so if you replaced like for like it would go pop.

9. When you call, ask to speak to Martin Burrows. You WILL get satisfaction - guaranteed. :) :)

10. Update...took it to my local dealer and they saw nothing wrong with it, DID replace the fuse like for like and it just blew another (with enough force to BREAK THE GLASS in the fuse!).

But yeah I'm going to have to send it back to where I bought it from, pain in the ass considering it's in Newcastle so I'm going to have to pack it up and pay a courier to get it down there :rollno:

11. Did you talk to Martin Burrows as suggested?

12. Was just about to post another update that I just did, and yes, very kind man, got straight to the point so thanks for the suggestion bassicinstinct!

He said that it's probably a blown transformer, and that I can send the amp itself (not the whole combo) to him (reducing postage costs) and he said he will get it fixed within a week :hyper:

I am muchly happy.

13. hmm, that fuse blowing like that sounds like the fuse was too small for the job, but if martin didn't pick up on that then he knows his stuff.

14. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I cant believe you didnt just take it back for a refund or replacement.
    This stinks IMHO. what happens if you had a few gigs in a row?
    This is one reason im never going to get another Ashdown product again. I know there are a lot of Ashdown bashers here but its for a reason. Im still living with a MAG combo that was in a work shop for 4 months. it came out with the same problem it went in with. it distorts more than it did this time last year (in fact the 9th Dec was when it went wrong).
    Martin did get in touch after reading one of the threads here but a year old amp (let alone a month old one) should not need to be sent away. I depend on my gigs to help pay the rent etc, if i dont have an amp i cant do it. no matter how good customer service is if im going to be without an amp its costing me money.
    i expect better. Ashdown build these amps for the "gigging musician" but all i keep reading is how they break down. there realy arent up to the job IMHO.
    Ok, rant over but will you have 100% faith in your amp when you get it back?

15. You are very welcome. :)

Personally, I'm a great believer in judging a company by how it deals with it's customers when a problem arises. Realistically, there is'nt a single product on the planet which can be guaranteed never to fail. To think otherwise is simply silly IMHO. All a decent manufacturer can do is to minimies the impact of the failure of the product on the customer. In my experience, Ashdown are second to none in that regard. :smug: :smug:

16. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Agreed but some seem companies seem to have more product failier than others.
    This isnt the first time Ashdown have been linked to a poor transformer or bad PSU. I just think that with Ashdown the same problems keep coming up and its about time they sorted it before we go out to a gig with one of their amps. Even if it is a small % of users i would say Ashdown have the largest amount of posts here to do with failiers and it only seems to be one or two different faults.
    When Martin contacted me he bent over backwards to help sort my amp out but i had a gig in two days time and i had to go and buy another amp to get me through it. The amp was in for repair for 4 months and all i was told was that they cant find anything wrong with it. (this wasnt Ashdown by the way but the shop i got it from)
    As i said in my first post i think the OP should have made the shop at lest sort him out with a replacement while the amp was being repaired.

17. I think there may be a few Behringer owners out there who would beg to differ.:D :D :D :D

I do take your point, though, that the retailer should have provided a "loaner" during the repair period. On the only occasion I have had to return an Ashdown product, I did have to hire an amp for 3 gigs. Nevertheless, the fault, on a pre-owned unit, out of warranty, was rectified at no direct cost to me. I honestly can't see how they could have done any more for me.:smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:

18. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Re Behringer, i agree but most people say the Behringer stuff are copies so i guess as far as the amps go they got it right. now, who did they rip off?:smug: :smug: :smug:

Yes, its down to the retailer to sort you out normally. and if you can find a good one (like the Bass centre in london) then you have extra back up. they have leant me an amp and a combo to two occasions. If my gear goes wrong within the first 12 months ill let the retailer sort it out as my contract is with them.

19. To attempt to stear this away from ANOTHER Behringer bashing thread...:)

I'm not taking it back to the supplier, because they are actually further away than the Ashdown base camp is.

The other thing is, I will totally rely on the amp because I have faith in Ashdown, and to be honest, after going through 4 different combos in my time, I have noticed a certain 'rough patch' in the start of their time with me before they find their own, tone wise, and performance wise.

My last two amps were a Peavey TNT, decade and a half old build like a tank but not my tone. My next was a Trace Elliot 300 4x10, again built like a tank, not my tone, at all.

The minute I plugged my Ashdown in, I knew it was my tone, with that in mind, I can forgive a little 'breaking in period'.

I can understand your criticism, but I love my baby, and after a while, she will love me :)

20. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Incase you thought i was bashing Behringer i was just pointing out that not only did they copy Ashdowns amps they copied the reliabilty as well:D

Im not in anyway knocking the tone of the amps and i can see and agree with you over how good they sound.
    Im still using my "unfixable" MAG combo when i cant be bothered to take anything bigger to the really small gigs. I even had a ABM head and got rid of it because i prefered the MAG sound. In fact i went form a EB-150 C-115 to the MAG 307 C-115 because i liked the tone but needed louder.
    But with all the stories about the power output going down i (and a few others at least) have decided not to take a chance with the amp going down at a gig.
    For me its just peace of mind but i am unhappy that my MAG not only didnt get fixed but that im told there is nothing wrong with it. Even my guitarist noticed it and thats the first time he has noticed anything about my sound.
    Anyway, good luck with getting it sorted (just hope you dont need it before hand)