1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown Mag 600 for Metal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bza, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Bza

Bza

Sep 11, 2008
    Essex, UK
    Hey,

1st Post!

I play in a metal/Hardcore band and have been offered to buy an Ashdown Mag 600H with the 410T cab. Dya reckon it would suit? Any opinions. Ive yet to try it out and just seeing what peeps think.

Many thanks

2. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    There's no reason why it wouldn't. Genres of music don't have specific tone, the musicians that play in those genres have a certain tone they lean toward. If the amp is a good deal, and you think the tone of the amp will blend well with your band, then get it. It depends on your tonal settings, and your guitarists tonal settings.

3. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    No reason why not. Ashdown cabs are somewhat mid scooped (I have 2 2x10) and the shape button on the heads offers even more scooping (I've owned both ABM heads and combos). James Lomenzo uses Ashdown http://ashdownmusic.com/artists/detail.asp?ID=135 and they don't come much more metal than Megadeth or Black Label Society.

4. I don't like them, for the tone I like. But the band we open for has a 600 and 410, and he has a great sound, Its not my style though.

A lot of metal/ hardcore bands use tube heads, or the Sansamp RBI. Somtimes both.

5. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I used a mag300 and the 410T (later 810) in a metalband. Worked really good. It isn't a head with a lot of bass. But you can get a good sound thick in low mids and grindy up top.

6. Bza

Bza

Sep 11, 2008
    Essex, UK
    Thanks peeps...Its just that Id heard it was a more vintage sounding amp...Not that thats a bad thing. Maybe I can use an overdrive pedal to get an extra punch with it....Or would it be better to grab the cab and get a different head?

7. I have an ashdown 2X10 and 180H, I love it, has a nice warmth to it with really nice low mids,... I use my K5 and take all the EQ off the head and just dial it in on the bass, sounds awesome to me.

plus with the 600 head I think you would have plenty of power for pretty much any venue except for outdoor stadiums and the like ;)

8. You can get overdriven sound out of it. Well I could, But I have high output pups

9. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    It will probably work fine. I put a Sansamp BDDI in front of mine to get a more aggressive sound.