1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashdown Mag 600 set up question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NZBassman, Mar 18, 2013.

1. I'm looking at buying an Ashdown Mag 600 amp and an Ashdown 2x10 and 1x15 (blue series?) 2nd hand
    The guy selling them is about an hour away from me so I've not seem the set up personally
    He said on the Ashdown Mag 600 there are 2 speaker outputs and he plugs the 2x10 into one and the 1x15 into the other

Question - if you do this will the amp run at a full 600 watts? (at 4 ohms?)
    He said you can daisy chain the speakers, but he doesn't do that.
    Looking at the speaker cabs online it looks like they only have 1 x jack input and 1x speakon input? - if this is the case how would you daisy chain them?
    My warwick 4x10 for example has 1 x jack input and 1x speakon input plus 1 x jack output and 1x speakon output (to run an extn cab from the 4x10)

I don't want to buy a new set up and find it is no louder than my Warwick Profet 5.1.

thanks in advance!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Daisy chaining is no different than running each cab from the amp, so that's not a problem. But, assuming that more wattage will equal more volume is a big mistake. BVolume is a product of having adequet speakers for the available power, and mixing a 210 with a 115 may not be as loud as your current 410. Or maybe it is. There's no way to know just using the amp's wattage rating as a guide. And yes, running the 2 cabs should yeild a 4 ohm load, meaning the amp would produce the full 600 watts, but there's no way to know if the cabs can "handle" that much power, so again, no way to know what you'll get until you plug into it and play.

3. thanks - the speakers are 300w 8ohm each so if the amp runs at 600w the speakers would take 300w each from the amp?

My main concern is volume - I need more volume than features / knobs - and with my profet 5.1 I have the master volume at about 7-8 for most gigs and would like a little more volume to play with - without potentially blowing up the amp!

I thought the Ashdown set up would be good as I could take 1 speaker to rehearsals and the full set up for gigs

4. If volume is your main concern, I am not seeing any upside to going to the Ashdown rig.

A 2X10 + 1X15 is only slightly more speaker area then a 4X10, so no real gain there.

Going from 500w to 600w is also no real gain.

5. thanks - I was wondering if that would be the case.... someone said I should keep my Warwick 4x10 (600w 8ohm) and use that with the Ashdown head (should I decide to buy the Ashdown rig) as well as one of the 2 ashdown cabs - either the 1x15 or the 2x10
    But then again other people have said it is not a good idea to mix different brands of speaker cabinets....

I guess my only way to find out is to see if I can test the rig out with my bass and see if I like it...

thanks for the advice!

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Also note, a spkr cab rated at 300 watts RMS means that the spkr coil will melt at that point, but you'll run out of gas long before that, maybe even at 150 watts. So, don't judge a cab by its rating. More loud = more spkrs. a 2nd identical 8 ohm 410 is what you want.

7. Thanks - I think the cabs are rated 300w but have a peak of 500w? but I'll have to confirm that

My preferance is to either have one 4x10 cab or two smaller cabs like the 1x15 or 2x10. I don't really want to be lugging around two 4x10 cabs! - there is not enough room in my car for 2 big cabs anyway.

I know that having two 8ohm 4x10 cabs will move more air and produce more speaker volume than a single 4ohm 4x10 cab

decisions, decisions!