Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown MAG C210 COMBO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rutkn, Jan 18, 2006.

1. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
    hey im 14 and i play with some friends a school. the guitarist plays through a 100 watt amp. This amp has 300watt so im thinking thats enough. Is the Ashdown MAG C210 COMBO
    any good? Or could you recomend me somthing around that price

Thanks

2. I've been using this unit (with a 1x15 Deep Cab extension) professionally for about the last 18 months and it has performed brilliantly.

Highly recommended IMHO:) :)

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'm a fan of Ashdown gear - I have an ABM 500 head with Mini48 and Mini15 cabs, and an Electric Blue 130 combo (15" speaker).

Haven't used the MAG gear, but if it's as good as the rest it'll be fine.

Remember that although the amp is 300 watts, you won't get the full 300 until you get an extension cab. As it stands, you'd get somewhere in the region of 180-200 watts. But that should be good enough

4. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
    kk thanks

5. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
    i dont how this extension cable thing works can someone explain it

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ok, your amp will produce maximum power at a certain impedance.........which is given in Ohms. Most amps produce max power at 4 ohms, some even go down to 2 ohms.

Now from the top of my head, your combo's internal speakers will give you an 8 ohm load, so your amp will not produce the full 300 watts. If you introduce another 8 ohm cabinet, wired in parallel, the amp sees a 4 ohm load (yes, this is where two 8's make 4!!!!!!), and produces the max 300 watts!:bassist:

Do a search for impedance......I seem to remember that there might be an FAQ on this subject!

Hope this helps!

7. It's nice, when you don't use 5string - 2x10" cannot handle lowB.
    Amp is great, but I don't like ashdown cabs..

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    You would probably get a little more thunder out of a 1x15 combo. If you plan on keeping this rig for a while, I like the idea of adding a 1x15 extension cab to it.

Oh... remember, its not always the wattage rating of the amp that matters. A huge part of your "volume" has to do with the amount of speakers you are driving.

9. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    The Ashdown combos are real beasts! I have a 130-12 Electric Blue combo that is way louder than it should be. The MAG seris is more power and can get very loud. You can go a long way with a combo like that.

10. I have a Mag 115 combo. It is a good amp and I like it a lot. I have used it for 2 or 3 years for gigs up to 250 people with bands of up to 7 or 8 amplified instruments. The 210 will do fine, as long as you and your buddy are cooperating and not competing. If you are competing, then you are not making music, you are making noise. Check out the weight of the 210 combo. I think it is about 35kg. I'm happy I bought the 115 because it is only about 30kg and I am getting weaker in my old age, not stronger.

As the others have said, you will be able to use the full power of the amp by plugging an extention cabinet into the back "External Speaker" output of the amp. Be sure to use a short speaker cable and not an instrument cable. I would suggest a Mag 115 cab. They are relatively inexpensive and designed for that purpose. This will also approximately double your speaker area and you will be moving twice the air as well as utilizing the full power of the amp. At some point I am going to get a 210 extention cab to expand my capabilities.