Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown MAG / Cab power setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Juddium, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Juddium

Juddium

May 24, 2004
    Alright, I'm gettin lined up to buy a Dr. Bass 1260, and I hear the Ashdown Mag300 is a good head...the cab is rated at 500 watts @ 8 ohms and the head at 300 watts @ 4 ohms (I believe). So, my question is, is there a better head that'll put more power into the 1260? 150 watts isn't a whole lot if it's set to handle 500.
    I'm also debating getting a Dr. Bass 210 to go under the 1260 (probably won't, but it's an option I'd like to keep for the future)...the 210 is listed at 700 watts @ 8 ohms. So I'm assuming ideally I want an amp that either cranks 1200 watts at 16 ohms (which would be impressive) or at 4 ohms....
    Do I want to have a more powerful amp head compared to the cab, or a more power-hungry cab compared to the head?

Any suggestions on heads would be most appreciated.

2. The MAG300 is only rated at 307 watts into a 4 ohm cab, its not a very loud amp, and into one 8 ohm cab its only gives about 185w, apart from that its a nice amp for the low price, for superb volume try the Hartke 3500 it will blow it away

3. Juddium

Juddium

May 24, 2004
    Superb volume is great, but how does it sound?
    What about the Ampeg SVT4Pro? or maybe something similar but a couple hundred dollars less?

4. Hartke has more choice of sounds so maybe wins over the Ashdown, Ampeg amps are great but you pay for the fancy name i know i did. The svt3 pro is nice, heard various bad reports about the svt4 pro being troublesome, the SVT350H s/s amp isnt bad but again pricey, the best is the SVTCL head but it costs serious money, forget the SVT2pro its the rack version of the SVTCL .

Trust me the Hartke 3500 is a great amp, but so are many others, try it out.

Mart