Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown MAG DI Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by John Herzog, Mar 8, 2005.

1. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    For owners of the Ashdown MAG series. Is the DI from the amp any good?

2. I've never had a problem with it and I think it sounds good, it's pretty clean. Whatever you put into the amp that's what you get coming out of the DI, it's got a decent clean sound.

3. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    Thanks for the reply. Any second opinions? Anyone have a problem with it?

4. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I guess I'll find out soon enough, I just ordered on of these from AMS!

5. I think you'll be very happy with it. So far it's been a performer and it's really surprised me with it's versatility.

6. By the way GiantSlacker, do you know a drummer by the name of Laurence Jarvis? Seems that he does quite a number of gigs out in San Antonio, and I know it's a crap shoot, but I just thought you might know him. Thanks.

7. Bump :help:

8. Mine is very good.

9. It seems that "onboard" DIs have a pretty dire reputation with Sound Engineers.

The good news is that, in the case of the Mag I currently use and the ABM I used to use, I have had nothing but praise from "the man on the desk".

I guess that, for a DI, that is about as good as it gets. :meh: :) :meh: :)

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I've heard nothing but good things from the DI from Ashdown gear.

Steve Lawson used to record with his so if its good enough for Steve it's good enough for me.

Also I believe the Mag and ABM DI is the same so that mihgt be useful to know.

Hope this helps

11. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    Sorry don't know Mr. Jarvis, who does he play with? We play out about 4 to 8 times a month, mostly weekends. I own the PA and I'm the soundguy who sets everything up so the DI not an issue to anyone else but me. We usually get one of our wives to run the board, they've gotten prety good at it, but I've got a wireless just in case I need to run out there and make an adjustment.

We play some gigs where I can use an amp, and some where I can't due to space or volume limitations. I was using a Pod but I decided that it sucks so I got the rackmount version of the Ashdown and I'm going to put it in one of the rack cases with the rest of the PA gear that is on the stage. I'll use it at as a pre-amp to mixer for the low volume gigs and just add a cab for the ones where I need it. I've been using a Trace Elliot Commando head with a 2x10 but the head takes up too much space in the Xtera along with the rest of the PA gear.

GS