Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown MAG input level?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sknkh, Jul 31, 2005.

1. sknkh

sknkh

Mar 21, 2004
    Hi, I've just recently bought an Ashdown Mag 300 and 4x10 cab and I’m using a squier p bass with it. The amps been great so far, but it seems my bass’ output is too low, as the vu meter hardly moves. Even with the input set to 3’oclock the needle will barely move and usually hovers around 20% when playing normally.

I’ve searched the forums and I’ve read that the input level should be set so that the needle occasionally peaks into the red during normal playing. The only time this has happened is when I set the input to 100%. My question is, does putting the input gain this high damage the amp in anyway?

Thanks.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Make sure that you're plugging into the correct input jack... I crank my input volume all the way... My P-Bass will put the VU meter about 1/2 way... Oddly enough, my little Danelectro is the hottest of all my basses, easily capable of diming the meter...

Also, be aware that the sensitivity of these meters varies... Bottom line, does the amp sound good? After about a month or so, I stopped looking at the meter altogether... The guidelines for setting the input level are just that... Guidelines... And no, it doesn't damage the amp... At least it hasn't in the 9 months that I've been doing it!

-robert

3. sknkh

sknkh

Mar 21, 2004
    Yeah the amp sounds great, it’s just that I can’t get enough volume out of it. I really have to crank it just to keep up with a drummer. I’m thinking it’s the low output of my bass that’s causing it and not the amp, because of the low reading on the VU meter and the fact that I basically have to turn up the input level to almost 100% to ensure that I can get a decent volume level.

That’s why I’m wondering if putting the gain that high will cause any damage to the amp or the cab?

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    The inputs are counterinuitive. If you have a passive bass, use the "high" input.

I dont really know how the VU meter works, but I think it has to do with the overall output, not just the gain/prepamp levels.

5. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    I just got the Ashdown Mag 300 and have had only a few opportunities to run it at performance levels so far, so not really qualified to speak on this too much, but, I have noticed the same limited movement of the needle on the meter. However, I had the gain at about 11:00 and the master output just about straight up. According to the users manual, the VU meter measures only the input signal level as I understand it.

Cheers,
    Hammer

6. I have Ashdown bass and guitar amps. The VU meters look cool in the beginning, but both evetually failed and I haven't bothered to fix them. When they were working I noticed a significant variation in what the needle was doing compared to the tone I was getting. Now, I turn the gain up without clipping until I get a tone I like and then adjust the volume. Regarding the volume, I would check the amp out with other basses and the bass out with other amps. I would get expect to get plenty of volume out of your setup, but then I am an old man, not a youngster.

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Same for me with my MAG300.
    The VU moved very little, now it does not work any more.
    I have too many gigs, so I can't send the head at Ashdown for repair. And anyway, the head works fine on all other points.
    Cheers,
    Jay

8. sammy68

sammy68

Jul 21, 2008
    Let me explain what happened to me...

I just bought this MAG300 last Monday. Everything worked perfectly including the VU Meter was moving across the entire meter. The Amp had some serious output. But, This week I noticed that the Needle was leaning to the left and not responding as it was before. Also noticed that I am not getting the Volume I was getting before. This issue is real and is affecting the total volume output of this rig. I emailed ashdown regarding this and I want to hear what they have to say. Does anyone know what is the fix for this issue?

9. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I don't bother looking at the VU metre no more. It is no accurate to me.

My VU metre shoots too high with low output and low volume when i use my warwick with EMG + Bart on it.

Use your ear to justified the input. If the amp is no clipping or distorting then you a ok to go. Tur nthe gain down if you hear clip or distort.

The MAG300 should be very loud. The Squire P may have low output on the pickup etc. Try it with a different bass if you can so you can test is it the amp or is the bass.