Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Mag-Mon 200-12 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Jul 15, 2002.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    hi all,

i'm considering one of these for SMALL room gigs. coffee shops, private parties, etc...

i know its an old model, and i've heard mixed reviews - mostly about volume.

i can't imagine that the 200 watts wouldn't be enough for a 50 - 100 person venue.

i'll be doing mostly fretless jazz/folk type of stuff.

comments?

alternatives?

thanks in advance!

fred

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Yeah,
    Get an Ashdown "Electric Blue" 12 or 15 130 watt.
    If you don't think they will be loud enough see my post "Ashdown - Marvellous" :)

3. Fred,

I think this combo would be loud enough for a small room, coffee shop type of gig. Assuming you are not really wanting to blast people out, but rather make sure that a) you can easily hear yourself above the general murmur, b) that you project enough sound for those in the audience to easily hear you, c) you can hear and be heard by anyone else playing with you.

I used my MAG MON12-200 outside at a BBQ (bass, two acoustic guitars amplified and vocals) without plugging into any PA and by all accounts I could be heard pretty well. I needed to boost the mid range to make things clearer but it did work. I often use just the combo at church for smaller services (50-100 people). The sound is just great, and in fact I need to be careful not to swamp things.

The tilt back is great for allowing you to hear what you're playing in these smaller situations. Since it's an 8-ohm speaker you can always add another cab if you feel you need it. I played the other week with the MAG MON 12" and an Ashdown MAG 15" cab. BIG sound. Almost too beefy... :D Bear in mind also that it's 200W RMS, with quite a bit more peak.

Hope this helps.
    Mike