Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown MAG or GK Backline

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazz Lover, Mar 27, 2005.

1. I have been looking at 210 combos lately and it seems that the best deals are with these two. Both have roughly the same power and features. The GK is a new product so I havn't seen or heard one yet and it is also about $25 cheaper. Any suggestions or ideas about how the tone of the two stacks up?

2. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I dig the tone of the GK Backline series (not as much as their Artist series, but the Backline is nice). Never played the Ashdown.

If you're planning to add an extension cab, go with the Ashdown. The GK Backline amps can only handle an 8 ohm load.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Not dissing GK here, but I found that I didn't like the only GK head I've played through. It was a friends, and I don't remember which one it was. It just felt wrong playing it. However, maybe it was GK cabs, which I've played through many times and never liked. That was just one head, as well. I've played the Ashdown and found it to be very versitle and I could dial in a good tone fairly easy. All the dials look cool too :p
    Edit: Ashdown cabs have never sounded good to me either...

4. Are all of the Backline heads this way? I would like to be able to add an extension at some point in the future when I require an upgrade. I couldn't find the specs on this GK combo when I looked at it on music123.com they had the specs for a 15 combo.

5. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    i like the gk cabs sound, but prefer the ashdown tone. they're a bit warmer

6. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I had a backline 110 and it SUCKED. Farted out on an E string on anything above about 4-5.

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Well, what did you expect out of any 110?

8. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Yes.

That's why GK can put nearly the same pre-amp in (according to Daniel Elliot) and still sell these cheaply. There are a few eq options missing, but it's essentially the same EQ that's in the artist series heads.

9. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I'd get the Ashdown

10. If you need something soon, go for the GK 400RB/210 combo. If you can wait about a month or so, get the Backline 210 combo. The new version is black with white lettering and will do 200 watts by itself or 300 watts with an extension cabinet. And the price should be about the same.

11. The backline 250 will only do 8 ohms, but the backline 350 will do both 4 and 8 ohms as will the new Backline 600 which will do 300 watts at 4 ohms.

12. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Sorry about that.

Have any information about street price of a Backline 600? And will it include just a better power amp, or should I be expecting some minor preamp changes as well?

I don't see there being a market for these with the 400RB-IV (280 watts at 4 ohms) already out there for $400. But I'm sure you guys at GK made sure there was a market or else wouldn't have designed one.

I think I just found a backup amp. :hyper:

13. Actually, I'm a little worried that it's going to kill the 400RB. The Backline 600 list price is only $399. Street price will be less. There is not change to the preamp features, but we did adjust the voicing so that it's a little warmer.

14. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    True :meh:

15. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Sounds like it definately will kill the 400RB-IV, with a list price going for this thing's street price!

~$300 for 300 watts new, with GK tone. :hyper:

With this warmer voicing, is it a compromise between the 4 and 5+ string buttons on their artist series?

16. No the change was in the highend not the lowend. And it was done in the EQ section not the voicing filter.

17. As far as the amp goes, I'd say Ashdown, for the cab/s GK. Unless your getting a combo, which seems to be the case. So, I'm just gonna wimp out and say, use your ears.

18. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    When are the Backline 600's supposed to be available?

Music123 has them listed as "on order", but no availability date is given.

19. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    They're available now.

SgtThump over at Harmony-Central almost bought one.

My local GC and Sam Ash stores both, "Could order them, but don't stock them." So I haven't given it a test drive. I'm going to try calling them up again this weekend, see if anything's changed (the guys who work at my local GC are... like you would expect a GC employee to be - I'll just leave it at that). Will report to you guys on my findings.