Ashdown Mag or GK Backline?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Feb 20, 2006.

1. GK

28 vote(s)
  2. Ashdown

53 vote(s)
  1. Well given the choice would you pick a GK backline 600 or an Ashdown Mag 300H? Both 300 watts. Both 300 dollars. Which is better?
  2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I think that either would be a good choice but since I like the way my GK sounds I voted GK.

(However I must confess to have never played through an Ashdown.)

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I voted MAG, because to me the GK Backlines do NOT sound like real GKs, and the distortion channel sounds like a crappy fender solid state practice amp distortion channel.
  4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    That was true of the first Backline amps but the newer ones use the same preamp as the 400RB (or is it 400RBIV?). I could be wrong but that's what I heard.

But then lots of folks complain about the older Pro series amps too (except the 800RB which is legendary). Even the newer Pro stuff is much warmer. Most delicious!

And to me all bass distortions suck. I've used distortion much less than 1% of my total gigging time.

Does the Mag300 have onboard distortion? :eyebrow: I really don't know.

5. i'm only heard one of both so i dont really know but i thought the ashdown sound like butthole and the gk actually sounded pretty good. i would go with the gk.
  6. Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    I went with the GK my self...But I'm biased played mostly GK my whole life..

I would play them both and make a choice, maybe there are some TB'ers in you area that have either that would let ya check it out ....or hit GC and fiddle about..
  7. Its suprising that most people said Ashdown in the poll but yet most people that respond say Gk.... hmm what does this mean?
  8. Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    No, the Ashdown MAG 300 doesn't have onboard only has sub-harmonics, which are pretty nifty in my opinion. I voted Ashdown, because I have the Mag 300 and absolutly love it.
  9. what do sub-harmonics do? Do you ever use them? playing with other people?

I have the Backline 250 right now and that has distorion but I never use it.

400 posts! :hyper: whoop whoop. (I know its one seriously exciting landmark)
  10. I voted Ashdown because when I hear GK I find it sounds (to my ears) too sterile and harsh. I like my Ashdown stuff. Sounds fat and warm and like a bass, plus it looks cool and made just up the road from me.:D :p

BUT as always, get to your local guitar/bass shop and try them both out well with YOUR bass. Also remember you do not have to buy right away. Happy Shopping!!!!!!!
  11. I would say find a MAG 400(the Brittish made one)They are a bit rare But they shred both of those amps.But, if thats all I had to choose from i'd say ASHDOWN.
  12. Diddlysquat

Diddlysquat Guest

Feb 8, 2006
    You live in China?
  13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Heres my theory.

MAG > backline

RB > ABM

The MAG series sounds great and honestly, i dont tihnk the ABM series is that much more amazing.

The GK RB series is outstanding, while the backline series is so-so.
  14. Well.........The ABM stuff anyway :smug:
  15. Diddlysquat

Diddlysquat Guest

Feb 8, 2006
    I know - I was just messin' with ya.
  16. Its all cool. I realised very quickly.......:bag:
  17. Having heard both the Backline, used by a bassist of a band that opens up for us and the Mag, which I tried recently, I think the Mag sounds more robust (read: ballsy) & seems easier to dial in good tone. I don't think the Backline sucks though. It's pretty good actually, but the Mag definitely owns in that price range although I'd much rather see a distortion function on it than a sub-harmonizer.
  18. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Although I had a GK 400-watt SS monster back in the '70s, and it was a very good amp, I voted Ashdown. I don't have a MAG... I have an ABM500-RC Evo-II, and it is a very fine amplifier... very powerful with a tube pre-amp... a very warm sound if you want, and a clean, almost sterile sound, too... all the tone-shaping capability at your fingertips with the EQ knobs and sliders. I use the 'over-drive' knob almost continously, and I'll use the sub-hamonic feature on occasion as well... and it DOES look really cool with that Vu-Meter and the chrome face of the RC (rack-mount) version!

I must say that I've never heard, much less seen an Ashdown MAG amp, but I have heard a couple of GK Backlines, and while not all that bad of a sound, I wondered how they would really perform under volume with a power-trio rock band... I bought my ABM500 on the premise of what I had read, because there are no Ashdown dealers that I'm aware of here in Paradise. I've yet to regret my decision... :D
  19. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Get a Behringer BX3000T. I like mine. It's even cheaper. Hasn't broken on me yet, and I can get any tone I want out of it. It also has a sub-harmonic generator. Even has a VU meter, just like Ashdown. I know everyone likes to cap on Behringer, and I bought it before I knew about their infamous history, but it's probably made on the same assembly line as the MAG. By Chinese workers. They actually turn out about a thousand of them per 12-hour shift.

Failing that, get it's clone, the Ashdown.;)
  20. I think i'm going with the ashdown. I feel like I'm "who wants to be a millionare?" (dumbest question ever by the way) and just used my ask the audience lifeline. haha.