1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown Mag or Laney B7

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hcg, Feb 27, 2008.

1. hcg

hcg

Jun 21, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi, I am trying to decide whether to buy an Ashdown Mag300 combo (the 2 x 10 version) or a Laney B7 combo (also 2 x10). Both amp are rated at 300W with the extension cabs. Either way I will also probably get an 15" extension cabinet for gigs.

Does any one have any advice? My existing bass amp broke the other day so i need to make a decision fast because gigs are coming up soon.

My band plays rock/dance covers typically..ranging from beatles, stones through to current top 40 stuff.

thanks
    H

2. I have a MAG400 head (UK built redface - nearer 500W) and I love it to death - it's simple, loud and old-school, if that's your thing. I've gigged it for years and it's never given me a moment's trouble.

The only Laney bass amp I've had experience with (I have a Laney VC30 guitar amp and am very happy with it) was the R2 which was a great disappointment - even rated at 120W through one speaker, it didn't impress - can't say I noticed any difference through two speakers either.