Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ashdown mag problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by UnDoNe, Mar 5, 2005.

1. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    hi. i played a gig with my ashdown mag rig on thursday and right at the end it just cut out. the vu meter was still on, so i thought my sansamp bddi's battery had died so i took it out and just went bass straight to amp. however, the vu meter needle was going very high when i played but no sound at all came out.
    at practice yesterday when i turned my amp on it made a buzzing sound then a loud crackling sound so i turned it off. the vu meter still came on though. i unplugged my extension cabinet and just tried the combo and no buzzing was heard, but when i plugged in my bass no sound came out again and the vu needle didnt move. any one any thoughts on what could have happened?

2. I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I have the same amp and fortunately It's given me no problem. There's nothing worse than having something break down on you. Is it still under warranty? Good luck and maybe the store you bought it from will help you out.

3. Me too.

I know that is NO help to you but I would STRONGLY suggest you contact Ashdown a.s.a.p. and I am absolutely sure they will sort out whatever the problem may be. :) :)

4. fattie64

fattie64

Oct 3, 2004
    AHA! You have blow a fuse! Happened to my MAG 250 a few months ago. Still got VU response but no output. Just take it to your dealer or a dealer and they can pop a new one in there

....if that is the problem but im pretty sure it is

5. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    fattie64...

i love you. :)

6. Well played.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

7. This may be no consolation to you at all but one of my MAG300 combos had a very similar fault from new - very loud low frequency buzzing when turned on with an extension cab connected in parallel. Apparently it's a fault that Ashdown are well aware of, caused by the power stage drawing too much current at startup due to the reduced load impedance.

I had the amp replaced under warranty and the replacement developed exactly the same fault within a few hours.

Incidentally, the MAG300 was replacement for a MAG250 which had the same fault when played at volume for a short while due to overheating.

So after 3 dead MAGs in three weeks, I bought a Hartke and never had any Ashdown probs again :meh:

S.