1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown MAG questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kuchar, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Kuchar

Kuchar

May 31, 2006
    Michigan
    Edit:
    I'm editing my post because I have a bunch of new questions and all that jazz

I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to get the Ashdown Mag 4x10 Deep cab. I've read tons of good reviews on it and it fits my budget.

First Question relates to what site to buy it off of..

If you look at music123 the cab is $299.99 and it says the weight will require and additional $69.99 shipping charge. However in the description it says "450 watts continuous power handling"
    http://www.music123.com/Ashdown-MAG-410T-4X10--Deep-Bass-Cabinet-with-Tweeter-605032-i1153226.Music123

Now the next site I found it on requires no shipping charge and is the same price, but says only 350 watts power handling.

http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-ASHMAG410T?source=froogle

My question is are they the same cab? I'd really love to get out of the 70 dollar shipping charge. Also, has anyone ever bought from instrumentpro.com? do they seem trust worthy?

Anyway.

I've read a crap ton of bad reviews no the Ashdown Mag 300 head.

My first question is, and I want honest answers. Is 300 watts enough? I'm very very sick of my amp not being loud enough, and if I have to save up some additional money then so be it.

Second, is it really a piece of crap that burns up and breaks down to almost everybody?

And finnaly.

Has anyone had any experience mixing Ashdown and Ampeg?

specially the mag4x10 and this head
    http://www.music123.com/Ampeg-B2RE-Rack-Bass-Head-481491-i1145645.Music123

Thank you for reading this far if you made it :]

Original Post
    Hey I have quite a few questions.. I'll probably compact them all into this thread even though a lot of them have nothing to do with the topic but the main question does..

Ok here goes.
    For a while now I've been playing my bass through a Fender Rumble 100 amp and as you all probably know it just isn't loud enough for band practices and the such competing against the same wattage guitar amps and a nice loud drum set.

So I've saved up some money and I am looking at the Ashdown MAG equipment. I'm looking to purchase the 8 ohm 4x10 deep cab and the 300 watt Head 4 ohm Ashdown MAG head.

My first question is, will this be significantly louder than the Fender Rumble 100 amp? I know with that rig I'll be getting half the power (150 watts) but I'm looking to add an 8 ohm 15" cab in the future. So, without the 15 will it still be louder? Loud enough even?

Question 2-- Can I hook the Ashdown rig together and put the Fender 15 into the mix to get the full power out of the head? Or will the ohms not add up? (Not sure of the Fender Rumble specs and I can't find them online)

And, in reverse, as of right now I only have money for the cab, so can I hook the Fender Amp up to the Ashdown cab for a while and power it that way?

And. A random question.

I play through a Fender Standard Jazz bass and I noticed that a lot of the lower frets buzzed.

And one day all of the frets below the 12th fret on the G string completely stopped making any noise. So I raised the bridge up on the G string a little bit and it worked fine. Then I decided to go ahead and raise up all the strings a little bit, some more then others and I feel as if I messed something up.. I don't know it sounds fine and plays fine I'm just wondering if anyone thinks I should take it to a professional and have them rig it up for me T_T Because I had no idea what I was doing.

Also need new strings, probably could use the search to find this but if anyone knows a good site off the top of their head//some good strings feel free to let me know :]

Thank you to whoever actually read this. Thank you even more to those who respond.

As I said lots of random questions, I should probably split them up into different threads and different topic boards but oh well.

2. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    Let me start by saying that I went from a Fender Rumble 100 to the Mag 300/4x10. EXACT same situation as yourself.

I love that rig. The tone is highly useable, and yes it is louder despite being 150 watts at 8 ohms. More speaker cone area/speaker quality affects the volume much more than amount of power being pumped into it. I had no problem gigging with this set up either.

The Rumble is nice for what it is, but doesn't even compete with a 300 w/4x10 rig.

3. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Yes, will be louder

4. On the bass, I'd recommend taking it to a tech to see what's going on. This type of thing is hard to diagnose and fix over the internet. For the Ashdown, I highly recommend them. I've got an ABM 500RC EvoII that is amazing and so far every amp I've heard of theirs has been quite nice. In the MAG series, also take a look at the MAG 600...They typically run only about 100 dollars more than the 300s and will give you more clean headroom to work with. That said, they'll be more capable of destroying speakers if you abuse that power. Ashdown also has great customer service from what I've read here on the forum, though I've fortunately never had to contact them. Also, don't be afraid to look at other cabinets, you don't necessarily have to pair the Ashdown cab with their head, any cab with the proper power/impedance rating will work. You might check out Avatar, Yamaha, and a few others in the cheaper side of cabinets, as there are a lot of good ones out there. Have you tested out the head and similar cabinets yet? I love a 15 and I love 10's, but make sure you like them paired and apart and that you get the tone you want from that configuration before buying, and good luck

5. Kuchar

Kuchar

May 31, 2006
    Michigan
    Thanks for the replies

The thing is, I'm going to be taking a wild chance in buying this rig because there is no place close to where I live that sells Ashdown products. But all the reviews I've read are great and I'm not to fussy with tone or sound, as long as it sounds good and not all fuzzy and crappy, which I could probably get out of any rig that costs more the 500 dollars.

But mostly everything I've read about Ashdown is good and is supposedly the best you can buy for the budget I'm on so. I hope it works out :]

6. I have an answer for you. Stay away from the MAG300 head.
    The cab is good, but a little rumbly.
    I went through 2 MAG300 heads. The first one sounded like dirty butt, so the retailer exchanged it. The second sounded like dirty butt too and then went POOF up in smoke about 1 month later or so.
    So, they were gonna send me another. I said NOOOO WAY!! I will dish out the extra cash and get the MK500.
    So, I run an MK500 and 2 MAG410T cabs. Great rig, but like I said cabs a little rumbly. I get tons of compliments on my tone all of the time.

So, Im not sure what you should get.

Im not trying to turn you off. You make your own decision. This was my experience.
    You may want to look at the lower end Ampegs, SWR, GK, Warwick, Eden Nemwsis, Kustom or Peavey stuff. And, some people may not like this, but even the Behringer BX4500 is good. I bought one for my nephew for his BDay. I got him a legion 2x10 cab and he bought a Ampeg 1x15 and this rig rips. He can dial in alot of different tones. The only con is its a little noisey.
    good luck!

7. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    Oh yes, the one thing you may need to be wary about is the fuses that come with (all, ABM included) Ashdowns are on the cheap side. The output fuse in my Mag 300 blew, but all I had to do was head over to Radioshack and buy a 3 pack of fuses for 2 dollars and swap them out and it works great.

Just a heads up, it may not happen to you (in short term:))

8. Kuchar

Kuchar

May 31, 2006
    Michigan
  9. NewGuy

NewGuy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Actually, I think that would be a better choice. I had one backlined from GC until the head I ordered arrived. I really considered keeping it. But check out www.americanmusical.com for a chance to get it now. They have a dent & scratch for $519.99 or you could use the EZ Pay plan and just pay $193.33 and they will ship it and just charge your bank account 2 more installments every 31 days! If you have a bank account and some cash you can have whatever you want without waiting. Great customer service too (free shipping also).

10. I wouldnt say ALL Ashdowns are cheap. The Chinese made gear Yes. My MK500 is Made in the UK and is excellent quality.

11. That would probably be a better choice in that price range.
    By all means try American Musical. I have bought alot of gear from them and even a Apple MacBook. Excellent customer service and their EZpay is a value.

12. Kuchar

Kuchar

May 31, 2006
    Michigan
    I edited my original post with all my new questions so I didn't have to make a new thread.

I'm just so dang confused. My minimum wage KFC job makes this hard on me haha, and I really can't afford to waste money so I just wanna make this I get all my facts down

13. I understand. I have been there before. I remember those days too. Back then I never thought that one day could just run out and buy a $1100 head if I wanted to.
    But, the American Musical EZpay plan makes it easier on the pocketbook. NO INTEREST, NO TAX PLUS FREE SHIPPING!! www.americanmusical.com
    My nephew has used it a few times and he works min wage job too. I buy from them regularly too!
    My review on the MAG head is my honest opinion based on first hand experience. It did not sound good at all. And I just dont trust the quality. I have owned many amps and this is the first that was really bad. I did have a GK that pooped out. But, they fixed it for me and never did dounded like garbage.
    You will be fine mixing the Ampeg head with the Ashdown cab. This setup will be good for years. When you get more $$ add another cab.

One more suggestion is maybe trying the new Ashdown Superfly.
    I know a few people who have these. I played through one and was very impressed. It has a nice fat Ampeg tone too. And best of all it only weighs 10lbs!!! Its $279 (3 payments of 93bux)
    Its 500 watts, but 250x2 channels.
    They have new lightweight cabs for it too. But am musical does not have them yet.
    Im tempted to get one. Because believe me lugging heavy gear once you do alot of gigs sux!

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-ASD-ALSF500.html

The Ashdown website says 450w. I think the older versions were 350w. But you will be fine with a B2RE and this. I run my MK500 into 2 MAG410 cabs at 4ohms.The MK500 has 575watts peaking at 900. So its 287watts into each.

http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/section.asp?section=superfly

14. Kuchar

Kuchar

May 31, 2006
    Michigan
    I dont know about the superfly, I might look into it

Is it 500 watts at 4 ohms and 250 at 8? or does it just push out 250 watts to each speaker?

I really, really want that ampeg head and am hoping more people can put there opinions in on it. 450 watts is like a dream compared to what I've been dealing with.

Thanks for your reply though, you've DEFINITELY turned me away from the MAG 300 Head, and I'm happy because I've been doubting that thing for so long.

15. Look into the Superfly a little more. Yeah its 250 into each channel. So if you were to get the Superfly 4x8 cab. It has 2 connections. so 250 into each pair. But if your not concerned with the weight go with the Ampeg. Sorry if I confused your desicions. And hey, try out American Musical. I love them!

16. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    I have gigged my Ashdown Mag rig (Mag 300R and 2X410 cabs) every weekend for two years without any problems whatsoever. They sound great as a combination, are light weight and are loud as hell. Yes you may get a dud but just send it back free of charge. As others have said. AMS is the place to go. Best of luck.

17. Kuchar

Kuchar

May 31, 2006
    Michigan
    how about the little mark 500 watt bass head?

Was playing with that at Guitar Center today and I kinda liked it ><

18. dude, the Markbass LMII is awesome!
    Ive been GASing for a Markbass TA501 and 106HF cab.

19. i have a mag 300. it crapped out on me awhile ago and then through a lot bull that ashdown tried to pull, i got fixed under warranty an since then its better than when i first bought it. its not the greatest sounding head thats for sure but its gets the job done.

20. I like the sound of the MAG series, but I don't own one, so I can't comment on the reliability. I will say that for the 519.00 for the dent and scratch ampeg head, you could get a used Ashdown ABM 500 off of Ebay probably...I got mine for 540 with a rack case and it's held up well. If you're set on the Ampeg head, make sure you play that specific model through a 4x10 with similar power rating and your bass at the local music store before you buy. In my experience, 450 watts goes a long way, but depending on the amp you may or may not be happy with the tone for the full range of it. Also in the 500 dollar head range, the Yorkville(Traynor?) YBA-200 head is available...that's a 200 watt tube head. Aside from the increased weight, that thing I've heard nothing but shining reviews about and that it nails the Ampeg tone of the higher end, old school Ampeg if you want to set it that way.