Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown MAG range

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew West, Feb 3, 2001.

1. There's been a lot of discussion about the ABM500 and ABM300, but I haven't really seen any comments on the MAg range. Does anyone have any thoughts on the amps, especially the MAG400? They don't seem much different except for the two low/high mid knobs instead of four sliders and lack of ss/tube preamp mix.

2. Steve Lawson?

Anyone?

Beuler? Beuler?

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´ve got an ABM300 myself but the MAGs are supposed to sound good but not as versitile as the ABMs. You are not able to blend in the tube sound ´cause there is no tube in the MAG.

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Did I hear my name being called??? :oops:)

I spent a long time playing through one of these at NAMM (it was the bass amp in the middle of the Ashdown performance stage), and really liked it - great headroom, good clean sound. I missed the tube, as I'm used to the ABM-300, but the clean sound has still got a heck of a lot of bass, thanks to a tweaked FET on the front end. I think there are some differences in the speaker design and cabinet spec. between the ABM and the MAG range, but I was certainly well impressed with the 400 (It's also considerably lighter than the ABM500 2x10, which helps, though the ABM500 2x10 is probably the scariest combo I've ever played through!) I'm just too weedy to be able to carry a 2x10 around, so I'll stick with 1x10 combo, and get a 210 extension cab, which is what I had for the other solo gigs and clinics that I did in California, and it sounded incredible...

cheers

Steve
    http://www.steve-lawson.co.uk

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I just picked up a used MAG-400... and I love it. It's either 400 or 500wrms and 800 or 1000w peak into 4 ohms.

Small and light, even more powerful than my BH-420 but none of that would matter if it didn't have tone. It has it in buckets. Great full sound when set flat (a must for me), simple yet very effective tone controls and the sub-harmonics effect is very nice, especially on fretless. I still need to gig it to get the whole picture but I'd be amazed if this didn't sound great live, it easily cranks my two EA VL-110's. The overall sound is very similar to my BH-420, it just doesn't have to work quite as hard.

This is the first amp I've tried that could replace my AMP's, though I'm sure I'll still use them;)

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I've cranked it up pretty loud here and the EA's are handling it very well.

7. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I just ordered a MAG-400 head and it should be arriving today or tomorrow. I'll let you know. But if you're really interested in buying one, contact The Bass Place in AZ. They have one or two more in stock, and their price is $100 less than anywhere else I checked. Couldn't pass mine up. No dealers here, so I'm going on reputation alone and hope that I'll like it. But everything I've heard has been very positive. The only real difference I can see is that you're giving up two bands of mid EQ. The MAG has rotary dials and not the sliders that the ABM does. The face is red, not blue (or chrome). The VU looks like it's designed a little differently. But I've been using an SWR 350, and the EQ seems pretty similar to the set up on that, and I've never felt that I needed more tone shaping capabilities before. Solid state, of course, rather than the tube in the SWR, but from a control standpoint, similar. Sound? I'll find out.

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Copycat, the really cool thing about this amp is that it sounds great flat. I've been marvelling at the sound of my basses, with all voicing switches off and the EQ out.

SMASH, these EA's don't even seem to be breaking a sweat at any volume with this amp, just goes from nice to too loud;).

One thing I did notice and a couple of people commented on it in the store, sometimes you can "hear" the subharmonic, even after you switch it out. Nice little psycho-acoustic thing going on there.

This amp sounds alot like my BH-420... and that's a good thing.

9. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Steve Lawson you said "(It's also considerably lighter than the ABM500 2x10,
    which helps, though the ABM500 2x10 is probably the scariest combo I've ever
    played through!)" If you had a ABMC210-500 and wanted to add an extension cab. what would you get? I was thinking in the 15" variety for a little more bottom? Thanks, Danny

10. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Danny,

I'd probably get another 2x10, and stack the two of them on end so I had a 4x10 tower - I've never really understood why four tens are always stacked in a square at floor level! :oops:)

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

11. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Thanks for your reply Steve. I hadn't thought about adding a 2x10 extension. I was just thinking that 15" would add a "deeper" low but how low can we go? I suppose the thing to do would be a side by side, AB type test, but when and where? Maybe my local shop (True Tone Music) would let me take them to a rehersal with a deposit and a promise to buy one or the other.