1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown MAG series vs. Electric Blue series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by YosemiteSam, Oct 10, 2006.

1. YosemiteSam

YosemiteSam

Jun 8, 2005
    Chatham, MA
    I'm reading up on these amps and can't seem to find many technical notes. Most people seem to prefer the MAG, but then, a lot of people seem to just recommend whatever amp they happen to own, and more people seem to own the MAG.

It appears both amps are solid state, but (based on specs, I'm guessing that) the MAG has a traditional heavy transformer, where the much lighter EB uses a switching power supply. Is this the case?

I'm particularly interested in the EB12-180; I like smaller speakers (my stage rig is 4x10s), and wish the MAG were available in a 1x12 format. (The 2x10 is a little bigger and more $$ than I want to spend on what is going to be a practice amp.) MF's spec sheet on the EB12 says the thing weighs only 18lbs. Is that possible? Any comments on this particular model?

-- Sam

2. well the mag is 307 watts and the EB's are 180, though as far as i know they both use the same speakers, i was actually wondering about these 2 too, asthey both use the same speakers but have different power output what range can the speakers handle? cos iwas thinking the 180 could be driven hard without distortion, or is that created by the amp itself and the speaker can handle over 300w?
    sorry questions questions, keep me eye on this.

3. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I have used both a EB150 C-115 and MAG 300 C-115 and they sound exactly the same. they seem to have the same amount of headroom and of course both have the same EQ and output options. the MAG has a fan in it where as my old EB didnt but other than that and a few cosmetic differences the MAG is just a louder EB IMHO.
    I do find my MAG distorts quite early on now, it didnt used to but its the amp and not the speaker.
    Dont forget you arent getting the full power in to the internal speaker as it is olny 8ohms and so you would need an external cab to get the best out of these amps. saying that i have giged for two years with my MAG and i didnt really need to push it too hard, too often.
    But i would say they cant be driven too hard if you want to stay clean.
    The EB 12-180 is 16.5kgs (36.4lbs)

4. actually found the answer to one of my questions on another thread (how much wattage) and the mag would be the cleaner of the 2 at higher volumes due to less clipping.:hyper:

5. No not possible. The head version weighs 18 pounds. The 12" combo weighs 40+ pounds. Someone at MF cut and pasted the specs.

Peace,
    S

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021