Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown MAG series...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by darkside 88, Mar 29, 2005.

1. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    ..a good buy? More specifically the MAG 210 combo, or the 1x15 combo. I play in a primarily hard rock band that freely mixes in funk, jazz and prog elements, and I'm sick of playing through our PA. :crying:

2. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Bump.

3. I've had great luck with my MAG 210T-300. I've been using it for the past year and it's never let me down. I use it primarily for small to medium size rooms. I've used it in bigger rooms but always use the DI to go through the mains and between the sound on stage and through the subs it always sounds really good. I'd go with the 210 model, personally I really like the quick response of 10's.

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I use a Mag-250 head into an ABM mini 1x15 cabinet. I've found it to be adequate even for relatively large gigs. I'm not sure about the Mag 1x15 combo but the mini 1x15 cab offers a good, quick response... I've done several comparisons with other cabs and it always seems to come out well, far from the stereotypical failings of 15" speakers.

Therefore, I'd say Ashdown gear is a good bet... although it would be best if you could try a few options before committing your money. Where are you based?

Wulf

5. I've been using a Mag 2x10T Combo with a Mag 1x15 Deep Cab when needed and, to be honest, it has been faultless. :)

6. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    How's the sound variety?

7. It certainly does everything I want it to do, which encompasses rock/jazz fusion, supper jazz and a fair bit of old school rock.

8. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks, I'm definitely going to find one of these.

9. Good luck.

You won't regret it. :) :)

10. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    I was looking at getting one of those too, and getting a 410 extension cab, but I can't find anyone who plays the same style stuff as me sooo.... anyone that has one, how are they on punk style stuff ( lots of highs, moderate lows, and no mids) and on distorted muse style stuff? I've heard they are great for vintagey sounds, but how are they in other areas?

11. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    I use the mag 300h head and 2 4x10 cabs. I play very distorted. (low mid and mid) cranking the treble on these isnt very good to my ears. I actually roll it off a lil on mine. Be careful though, mine blows fuses when the volume gets to about 3 o'clock

12. I play a Mag 200 1x15 Combo. It is adequate for country, country / rock in rooms up to about 250 or 300, although I usually play to about 100 or 150. Sometimes I wish for a second one so I could run stereo, but it's just a wish not a necessity. I play to a primarily over 40 crowd, so you might want more power if you play to a younger and wilder audience. The features I love about this amp are the tone shaping and the light weight. It is also terrific for small combo work. Yeah, I think it is a great amp for the money and I am very pleased.

13. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    yea im thinking about getting an ashdown mag 410 cab to use with my SWR working mans 400 watt head, good idea?

14. :hyper:
    Hey I got my new Ashdown 410 cab. Yesterday. It is awesome! This is the one I got. http://www.zzounds.com/item--ASDMAG410T I never bought anything from Zzounds before, but they were great. It was here in 5 days and shipping was free. I can’t speak for how it will hold up, but initially I am very impressed with the quality and sound. It was a bit of a gamble buying something I have never seen, but the people in this forum are generally very favorable concerning Ashdown. And the price was right. I was a bit surprised by how heavy it is. This is just a cab. and it shipped at 92 pounds! Time to get a roadie!

15. Last night I was trying out amps. I played a MAG 300 through a MAG115 cabnit. Then I played the combo MAG C115-300. Also a Electric Blue 180 through the same cabnit, and then the combo version. My question is this. Which would be the better selection? They both sounded the same to me, but the combo 300 was cheaper than buying the head and cabnit seperately. I'm not quite sure of my future plans, but which would be preferable? Given that the combo 300 weighs a ton, and I have to lug it up and down the basement steps, lol. I hope I'm posting this in the correct place. :help:

16. Hey Theuzedrk,
    I had a similar question and here is a post I found that was very helpful.

"Pros and Cons of combo Amps" Do a search for this thread. Lots of good info here. (I tried to paste the link but it did not work)

I was trying to decide between a 300 watt Ashdown 410 combo and a 450 watt Ashdown 410 cab. After reading the this post I decided to go for the cab. It had more potential and was cheaper. I did already have a bass head that I could use untill I saved enough to get a better one. I would say go for as much cab. as you can afford and pick up a used head to hold you over untill you can upgrade to a better one.
    That was my plan, we will see how it turns out.
    Good luck. :bassist:

17. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I want to bump this to get more opinions of people that have bought or heard the MAG cabs.

I'm thinking of getting a 210 and a 115

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a head, that i run through an avatar cabinet. I tihnk they are great heads. I went with an avatar cab because IMO they are better than the MAG cabs, but for the price of the combo, you cant go wrong.

19. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    my equipment is in my sig. i blew a rectifier once on the combo, but apart from that it's been a great rig and serves me well for rock with mids. can get bloody loud too :smug:

20. ?? The Ashdown site shows them as weighing about 60 lbs. Was the shipping container that hefty? How does it feel to lift just the cab? Is it a monster? I've been considering one of these as a trial but if they are hard to handle, I may opt for the Avatar neo.