Ashdown MAG vs Electric Blue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flexo, Jun 16, 2005.

1. flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia

I'm looking to buy a combo soon and i'll probably be looking at the Ashdown MAGs. I'm wondering, does anyone know what the differences are between the electric blue series and the MAG series? Are the MAGs worth the extra money?

Also the Harmony Central reviews look good but there are a few that seem to have reliability problems. Are the newer Ashdowns reliable?
  2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Well, the Mags are generally higher power and have more tone shaping as far as I know. I have a Mag 300 and for $280 it was a good buy. It has a slight hum, but pretty decent sound and good power for the money.
  3. From what I can see, there is more power available to thr MAG series - they start at 200 watts - the Electric Blue are 180 (with previous incarnations being 150 and 130)watts.

Also, the EB has LEDs for gain control, whereas the MAG has the the VU meter which is pretty much become Ashdown's visual trademark :)

If memory serves the EQ sections are vey similar if not the same!

I think that's about it......fom the top of my head
  4. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Im sure the preampos are the same.

The Electric blue have about 100W into the combos, and 180W with an ext cab.

The Mags will do ~180W into the combos and 300W with an extension cab.
  5. The MAG have more power, the VU input-signal meter thingie, the EQ is the same (as are the other options such as deep/bright etc...) as far as I recall. I'd go for the MAG's because they have the power you need in a band situation.

The reliability is something I can't comment on. It's good decent material (altough carrying it down from the stairs to get it to rehersals is good muscle practise :D ). My MAG300-115 had an 'issue' with my bedroom door once and the door lost a chunck of wood. No damage to the amp :) so they're built pretty tough.

Only negative thing about them seems to be the power button: it's located at the back instead of the front. But it's the only thing I can complain about, and its *not* a big issue ;)