Ashdown MAG210T cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockin John, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Just bought one of these and would like to share (very) early thoughts.

This is an 8 Ohm unit rated at 250 Watts; 2x10 + horn.

I'm not all that impressed with the build quality. The carpet is slightly coming away from the upper inside of the port at the bottom of the cab - if you see what I mean. The front grille is screwed to the box every 6" or so. The screws push the grill inwards into the carpet covering slightly which gives a bumpy appearence to the grille. The build quality has a slightly amateurish feel as a result, I think.

I do like the sound, though. Deep, rolling bass is easily possible. Mids come through cleanly and there's plenty of top from the horn.

FWIW, I used a preamp set up made up of a Behringer compressor and their 5 band parametric EQ; Power amp is is a very old Laney 300 watt (into 4 Ohms). Bass = Fender USA DLX Jazz 5.

There's much more experimenting to do but I do like the sound possibilities so far. I may well buy the 115 that goes with it.

I got the cab somewhat under RRP so I've no complaints as such. Perhaps Ashdown could look at some of the smaller detail issues with what is, anyway, their budget range.

2. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    apart from carpet - which wud be purely cosmetic flaws - are there any probs with construction (eg. grille rattle or cracks in MDF)?

how long u been using it for - ie. wats "very early"?

i'm seriously considering buying a half stack of the Mag 300 head and 410T deep cab (only about AUS$1200!) , and wud like some serious opinions from current users...
  3. I have a Mag 200 1x15 combo I bought about 2.5 years ago. The carpet is a problem due to the cat using it for a scratching post. The VU meter is cool, but fragile. It has gone out on the bass amp once and just recently went out on my Ashdown guitar amp. After a while I have come to depend on them for feedback on just how hot my input is. Other than those 2 minor complaints, I love mine. It is light weight and the tone is deep, warm and round which is what I like. The other great feature is that the control knobs actually effect the tone. The knobs on some amps don't seem to do much shaping at all, but these definitely do which gives the amp a lot of versatility. I play a Rick Turner Electroline with 2 soapbars and piezo bridge. I have plenty of power for 200 to 300 people. In fact I have considered getting a second Ashdown Mag and playing in stereo for larger venues.
  4. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I have the MAG 115 Deep cabinet, and my (also very early) thoughts are that it sounds fantastic for such a low price! Can go nice & low, but is quite clear. Yeah the grille does look a little amateur, but all the carpet & plastic corners on mine seem to be rock solid. Haven't gigged with it yet but will report later - have a gig this thursday.

Plus, the blue speaker just looks cool.
  5. OK folks.

"Very early" means bought it Friday am. Used for the first time Friday night, just messing about with it, for about half an hour. Won't use it again till midweek if I'm lucky.

No. I find no other problems. For the money they do seem to be really good cabs.

FWIW, I understand (via the dealer) that they're made in China. That ISN'T an issue, just a comment of fact as I understand it.

To Aaron, yes, this is just the cab, not the combo. But did take the bass into the dealer to try the cab by using the combo in there....if you see what I mean. But I do agree that the MAG combo / head is a nice piece of kit.