1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashdown MAG300 2x10 combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RSchuster, Apr 30, 2006.

1. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Okay, here's the situation:

I have a Genz-Benz combo amp. It's a 1x15, and I love how it sounds when I use the XLR jack to go direct into a PA system or a mixer. However, when I just play with the speaker, I can't really get the sound I want . . . I mean, I can get really good sounds, but when I go direct, I can keep the EQ on the amp in one place and then just mess with the knobs on my bass; when playing through the speaker, messing with the knobs on my bass kills the sound, and I have to futz with the EQ on the amp. I don't like doing this, and I don't understand why there's such a huge difference in tone between the amp by itself and amp through the speaker. It's just too boomy (I play a Ric 4003) and muddy, unless I turn up the treble, in which case, the amp distorts very easily.

I still like the amp because I can get really awesome DI sound, and because it's built like a tank, only not as heavy, and it has a headphone jack so I can practice at night in my dorm.

I would like to purchase another combo, however. I want something gutsier, something less boomy, more mid-y and growly, less hi-fi. I've heard great things about Ashdown, and I was wondering how a Ric bass would sound through the 2x10 MAG300 combo. Actually, any comments on this combo would be appreciated: how does it sound, can you set the EQ in one spot and go, is there a headphone jack or a way to listen with just headphones, does it sound the same through the XLR port and through the speaker, etc.?

This is what I'm talking about, by the way: http://www.ashdownmusic.co.uk/bass/detail.asp?ID=78

2. ashdown make good combos, the MAG 2x10 is a brilliant combo, if you want any help with EQ then just send ashdown an e-mail, they are brilliant and will give you a quick reply. i cant say that the amps are to evryone tastes but i love them, and the 2x10 combo can be stacked on top of an 1x15 cab, you should be able to get lots of treble. you will be able to get lots of volume, but without an extension speaker they only put out about 180watts.

3. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    It's not too muddy/boomy, is it?

4. cpconley

cpconley

Mar 27, 2006
    ive heard the mag 300 combos are pretty cheaply made and the power supply can go out. i am also buying a new rig, and im going with genz benz for the head and avatar for the cab, but if i dont get that i will get the mag300 4X10, mostly because theyre not behringer bad, and they can take the power from what i hear.

5. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Does it have a headphone jack, or some way that I could like, play while listening through headphones and not have the speaker play? Also, it seems pretty heavy, at 77 lbs . . . why is it that the ABM version of this combo is only like 50 lbs?

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    That is a heavy mutha... I have the MAG 300 head hooked up to a Aguilar 2x10 and a aguilar 1-12, and i get pretty good volume and clarity. The tone isn't my favorite- there are a lto fo better sound amps that are also louder for the wattage rating. I'd say it is a decent amp, but nothing special. The power supply hasn't given me issues in teh last year.

7. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I have the MAG300 C-115 and have used it for over two years playing a lot of different styles and it can cope with most things and moderate levels.
    The EQ is nice and i keep it prettty much flast apart form having the Bass boost on.
    It doesnt have a headphone jack though and the DI out is post EQ so you cant really muck about with the sound too much without it effecting the PA sound

8. I've been using one of these babies sitting on top of an Ashdown 1x15 Deep Cab in a Floyd tribute for 2 or three gigs a week for a good while now and I can heartily recommend the combination. I do also use the Combo as a stand alone unit for rehearsal etc and, apart from the obvious output difference and slightly less bottom, there seems to be no problem.

I almost always have the EQ flat but for a slight lift on the lower mids. No deep or treble boost on. I don't usually use the onboard DI (use an offboard SABDDI for this) but, coincidentally, I did use it on a gig on Sunday night and it worked a treat.

I can also confirm that there is no headphone socket on the unit.

I can also totally recommend Ashown from a Customer Service perspective. In the unlikely event that you have a problem, they will move heaven and earth to solve it for you.

9. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    which GB combo do you have and how are you eq'ing it?

10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    I have a MAG300R head and a MAG210T cab. Been using this rig for more than 2 years now and never experienced anything bad, except that the light bulb of the vu meter has blown. Ashdown kindly sent me the spare part as soon as they were informed.

I can't say enough good things about the Ashdown MAG amps. Sure they're not the best amps worldwide, but they deliver fat and ballsy tone with authority at a ridiculously low price. This easy-to-carry rig is my daily workhorse, and though I'm after something bigger now (probably an ABM), I'll keep it.

11. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    I have the GBE-115T . . . I believe that's what it's called. It's the 1x15 combo.

As far as EQ goes, when I set it flat, my Ric sounds . . . uh . . . like junk. In fact, every time I've ever had flat EQ on any bass amp with any bass, it's sounded like junk, so I always mess with the EQ. Right now, it's set up for DI-only (as in, when I plug direct, it sounds absolutely gorgeous, but I engage the speaker and it sounds like soft mud), which is as follows, with 12:00 as the "flat" setting:

Drive - 9:00, Shape - off, Low - 4:30, Mid - 4:30, Mid Freq - 3:00, High - 3:00, Volume - 12:00.

If I pull the "Low" down, the DI sound that I get (I record this way) lacks a lot of bottom. But when I have the "Low" where it needs to be for DI, the out-loud sound is very boomy and inarticulate, and it removes all the growly, punchy tone that I get very easily when going direct with my Ric.

12. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    I read somewhere that there was some sort of deal involving Ashdown MAG heads and Avatar cabs . . . is that still around? Would buying a cab and a head separate be advisable to getting a combo? What do you guys think of the Avatar 2x10 cabs?

13. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    why would you get the 2x10 combo over the head and individual cabs, so you have more choice? Also ashdown has a great reputation around here, the problem they had was with the 5 fifteen combo, which I believe they have addressed. The mag line is solid.

14. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Yeah, I guess getting the head and cab separate would allow me to mix & match, whereas the combo is kind of stuck like it is . . . I'm just wondering if there's an advantage to having a combo (i.e. lighter, cheaper, whatever).

15. arjosy

arjosy

Jan 4, 2006
    New Joisey
    I have the MAG-300H and the Avatar B210 Delta (I didn't by them together). They sound great together. For some extra volume, I use a custom built 1X12 loaded with a 300-watt Carvin bass driver. For larger venues, I also use a Sansamp DI. Nothing against combos but personally I like the flexibility of separate head and cabs. If I had to haul an 810 anything to every gig, I'd probably quit.

16. I have a Mag300 head, with Warwick 211 Pro + 410 Pro cabs.

Awesome!

:D

I had a Mag410 Deep cab, but the Blueline speakers are a bit "woolly" to me. I much prefer the Mag head with the Warwick cabs.

Loud, warm and clean.

:D