Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown MAG300 problem..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dabassist, Feb 15, 2005.

1. dabassist

dabassist

Jul 24, 2003
    I just got my avatar 210 and MAG 300 today.

I opened the box with a heart beat, plugged in my bass.. and BAM! the sound was awesome..

The VU meter was pretty awesome with all the light... but then I noticed that the needle wasn't responding at all!!!!

Also, the volume seems to decrease when I turn the EQ on..

Are these normal????

I hope these aren't huge problems... :crying:

If these are indeed something that requires repair, do I have to send the head all the way back to the UK?

Help me out!

Thanks

2. kapu

kapu

Feb 25, 2004
    Finland
    If the VU meter doesn´t response when you turn gain up from amp(about one o´clock), there´s something wrong with it. Try to knock the meter little bit if it´s stucked, see if that helps. Is your signal ok form bass to amp?

About the volume decreasing when turning the EQ on.
    If remember right my ABM 500 does the same, if the EQ is flat.
    The EQ should be very responsive anyway.

How it seems now?

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I didn't notice level changes with the EQ on, but I must specify I did not pay special attention to that.
    About the VU, the needle on my MAG300 doesn't move much either. I have to crank the gain very high (5 and more) to have some response from the needle.
    But the tone and volume are great anyway.

Hope this helps,
    JL

4. Is your bass passive?

I've experienced the problem with the "hardly moving" VU reading on both an ABM and a MAG Combo.

In my case, it turned out to be due to the passive MEC soapbars on my Warwick which are underpowered to an almost unbelievable degree. :( :(

Suffice to say that, in order to get any sort of "hot" signal from my bass to the Ashdown, I am currently using a SansAmp Bass DI AND a Boss Bass Equalizer and, even then, I can only *just* manage to get a reasonable signal level.

5. RedVette

RedVette

Jan 1, 2005
    Medford, OR
    I have the Avatar 212 and the Ashdown. I emailed Ashdown about the VU not moving much with my passive bass. Answer was: The VU is designed to work with a wide range of pickup output. For many passive basses, you need to set the iput level at 2-3 o'clock position to see motion. Also, the VU appears to be 'after' the EQ. I noticed that the VU will move a lot if you crank up the high frequency end of the EQ and play some high notes.

Bottom line -- you probably don't have a problem. I am REALLY happy with the Avatar and the Ashdown. The sound is exactly what I wanted from my Rick.

6. dabassist

dabassist

Jul 24, 2003
    My amp is fine! :hyper:

Thanks guys! I can't believe my active electronics in my MTD 535 didn't really make the VU meter budge untill I turned the input way up..