1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown Mag300 stack or Kustom Groove KBG115?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by M3tabolic, Mar 16, 2009.

1. M3tabolic

M3tabolic

Mar 16, 2009
    I have been looking for a good, beefy amp for doing rock/metal gigs at small/medium pubs and clubs. Just wondering if anyone has actually used these, and could give me some opinions on which I should go for?

First up is the Ashdown Mag 300H EvoII full stack, which I've been offered for £569:

http://www.giggear.co.uk/p/Ashdown-MAG-300H-EVOII-Full-Stack-Package/

Second is the Kustom Groove KBG115 which would cost me £499:http://www.jhs.co.uk/kustomgroove.html

My thoughts are that the Mag 300 will be more versatile (i.e. can use as full or half stack), and will probably provide more control over tone, but the Kustom has more power on paper (600w vs 307w).

If anyone has any opinions or experiences they can share with me I'd be very grateful!

2. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    I can tell you this, I have the Mag300t 2x10 combo and hooked to my 1x15 ext cab it is amazing. The 2x10 combo by itself is more than enough for practice and smaller gigs. I would love to have the setup that you have shown just for weight and versatility purposes. Mine is powerful enough for small to med gigs and has a wonderful warm, vintage yet modern tone. Especially for solid state. Hope that helps.

3. M3tabolic

M3tabolic

Mar 16, 2009
    Thanks baddarryl, your response really has helped! The more I look at this stack the more it appeals to me. I haven't yet heard any bad things about it. How heavy is your combo?

Does anyone else out there have any experience of these, or with the Kustom Groove KBG115?

4. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    The cab is good for the price you pay for.

I use a Ashdown MAG 2x10 and 1x15 on my Little Mark 250.

Sounds good to me.

5. clockworkwar

clockworkwar

Mar 20, 2006
    England
    I have a MAG 250 head going into a Trace 1153 cab, amazing.

6. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    77 lbs. I can carry it out to my truck by myself. It is a serious struggle to get up my buddies stairs without help though. :)

7. Molotov Pop

Molotov Pop

Jan 19, 2009
    Wales

if you go for the Ashdown on giggear, don't buy the 'package'. Buy each bit on it's own, you'll actually save money with those prices.

Mmm, looking at it, buy the 'half stack' then buy the 15" cab seperate. You'll save a few more £s!