Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Mag300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rutkn, Mar 9, 2006.

1. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
    hi

i was thinking of buying this head beacuse my practice amp is too small. Could someone recommend me cabinet to go with it. If this head isnt any good can some recommend me another head. I have a musicman stingray and like to slap.

Thanks in advance

2. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
    or should i buy a mag combo c210 and add a 115 cab?

3. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I have the MAG300 C-115 combo and i really like it for all styles of music but im not sure the 1x15 is good for slap.
    The head is very good though although i dont know how well it would slap as its not as hi-fi (if thats whats needed) as some of the dearer heads you can get.also the head is 325watt in to 4ohms so your second post would be ok.
    I havent used a lot of the gear talked about on the forum but i have played my MAG (just the head) in to a Schroeder 1210 4ohms and it was very punchy and you can get a really nice tone by using the bass/trebble boost. very zingy
    not much help really, just to say i love the MAG sound (as do most people who have tried them)

4. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
  5. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I havent used any of them but i would say in theory for a slap tone you would go for the 4x10. i have only every played 1x15's and now my Schroeder 1210 so thats all i can advise really.
    I would say that the MAG 2x10 combo would give you the tone but i dont know how loud you want to go. if you are gigging small /mid sized rooms then it should be fine but you will only get around 200watts without an extension cab. for me the C-115 combo was always enough with out going in to distortion but the 15" speaker is quite slow so not much good for slap.

6. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
    thanks im thinking of getting a mag300head and 410 cab now

7. well ashdown cabs would sound good.

and i'd recommend eden cabs, i use a eden cab with my ashdown amp, good sound

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    What is your budget, and what type of sound do you like?

I used the MAG-300 with the following cabinets- SWR WM 1x15, Mesa/Boogie Diesel 1x15, Avatar 2x10 Pro. It sounded good through all of them and had enough power to run two cabinets and cut through a metal band with two guitarists. My favorite cab with it was probably the SWR 1x15.

I got all this stuff for a fraction of the new price on ebay, so if that is an option for you it isnt a bad place to look.

9. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
    hmmm i like to slap and play metal so whats a good good cab for that

10. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia