1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashdown MAG300H and SWR 12 pack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by olias, Apr 7, 2006.

1. olias

olias

Mar 30, 2006
    Amarillo, Texas
    Ashdown MAG300H and SWR 12 pack. Any opinions on whether this would make a good rig? I am looking for something to keep up with a drummer and a pair of guitars using 120 watt Line6 Flextones. We play mostly classic rock--Led Zepplin, a little Black Sabbath, some AC/DC, that sort of thing. I read the thread on the SWR 12pack and am basically trying to find a decent head to put with it for less than $600 total ($320 for the cab and $280 for the head). Thanks.

2. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    i have a MAG300 for a couple of weeks and i like it.
    loud, very loud i can't stand be in front of it, when trying to cranck up the volume. i could not even push it to the max.

i like the fact that without eq and anything, my MIM Pbass sounds great, IMO.

Cheers
    J

3. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I think the 12 Pack would work very well. Deep, clear, quick, no tweet. I just got two myself and can say first hand that they are really fine boxes. Best $320 bin available IMO. Where else can you get a totally pro 2-12 for that kind of money?

4. sounds good to me

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey man, I'm assuming that the two 12 packs at GC in Danvers were yours? I havn't seen any of these around here before.

6. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Nah, I got mine through the amazingly inept buy nice folks at Zzzzzounds.

Long story short: The $320 included free shipping. The Web site tried to charge me shipping when I ordered two. So I called. The guy asked his manager what was up with that and the manager MADE ME ORDER ONE BIN TWICE in order to get free shipping for both!!! Then their fab QC thought it was a double input mistake and only shipped one. That is, until I called because their tracking system showed only one shipped.

They both showed up on the same FedEx truck. Go figure.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I used a MAG and loved it. Especially with a Sansamp in front for metal.

I havent tried the 12 Pack, but I did see one use at an ourdoor event once. It was a 2x12, but loud as hell with some nice tone coming through.