Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Mag300H ???W @ 8ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazzin', Apr 10, 2005.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The title is self explanitory, I want to know how many Watts does it produce at 8ohms, the website only shows the 307W @ 4ohms. I tried searching the forums, but I couldn't find anyhting specificaly for this. I'm not really good at calculating this either, if there is even a formula for this, can you tell me it.

2. Jazzin'

3. Should be about half the power.

4. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    i've heard 185w@8 ohms...

5. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Somewhere in the ballpark of 200 watts.

That's how some other 300 watt amps are, so I couldn't imagine the 200 watt mark be too far off, maybe +/- 25 watts.

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Closer to two-thirds... 185W seems about right. 90% of the time I am playing mine with an 8 ohm 1X15 cab and it is plenty loud enough for either a four-piece roots-rock band or an 11 piece funk-rock-rhythm and blues band...

-robert

7. Jazzin'

Thanks.
    One more question, why does such a huge increase in wattage (from 185W to 300W) only make a 3db increase in sound?

8. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Sound doesn't work that way... Some reading that I've done indicates that it takes close to 10X the wattage to percieve a doubling in volume... I'd imagine that they are talking up in the 150W or so range, (200 watts sounds way more than twice as loud as 20 watts, to my ears anyway...)

I'd also think that the 3db may be percieved with the same speaker area... The best way to increase output, (volume), is to add speakers... While my MAG300 through two 1X15 cabs isn't twice as loud as a single cab, the difference is very noticeable and sounds HUGE... Is it as awe-inspiring as an SVT or Mesa 400? No... but it is a very large sounding 300 watt SS amp...

-robert