Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ashdown mag300H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jnightmare, Nov 23, 2004.

1. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    well ive been hearing a lot about ashdown lately and was wondering how if this head sound loud for 307 watts? theres no where around here to try one. i might even consider getting one for a good price on what sounds to be a nice head with a great warm tone, but 307 watts doesnt seem like enough power but hey i may be wrong so how loud does this sucker sound?

2. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    yeah it's loud. get a behringer tho its the same for cheaper. great amp.

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I own an ABM 500...which is plenty loud. I was in a rehearsal room once which had an ABM 300 on top of an Ampeg 8 x 10........it was loud......trouser flapping loud and it sports the same 307 watts as the MAG! :cool:

4. Well my Ashdown MAg250 is enough to shake the entire house, and is clearly audible a long way away from my house, so a 307watt version should be incredible.

5. Pak

Pak

Nov 14, 2004
    Ashdown ABM300 is the same as MAG300 ???
    the power is the same, but the price is very different~

6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I use a MAG300 (rackmount version) with a MAG210T cab.
    This cab is 8 ohms, so I don't use the plenty 307 W (I believe the amp delivers "only" 200 W or so in 8 ohms).
    I confirm this amp is very loud according to the theorical 307W.
    On rehearsal, I cut through the band, including drums, voice, guitar and LOUD audio sequences.
    These 307W don't compare with any all-tube 300W head, though.
    And I still want more power, though the MAG300 stands proudly in most cases.
    Cheers,
    JL

7. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    there any difference in construction quality of the mag 300 rackmount compared to the regular one? why is it that the rackmount version is a little cheaper?

8. Pak

Pak

Nov 14, 2004
    I want to buy this amphead MAG300....
    but i am trouble to choice the cabinet~
    2x10 is ok? howabout the 4x10???
    can give me some idea?

9. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Same power output, different amp. Currnet MAG heads are made in China whereas ABM heads are still made in the UK. The ABM also has a valve pre-amp, whereas the MAG is an all solid state amp.

I guess the biggest difference is the tonal variations that a valve pre-amp can bring, but they do both have the same power output!

10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    The 210 cab is fine.
    I haven't tried it with a 5er yet, but based on my intuition I'd add a 115 cab if I needed to go down to lows.
    The lo-mid and mids on the 210 are really impressive.

I also wish to pay tribute to Ashdown for quality on their products. Even this cheap stuff is well built and seems to be reliable.

Cheers,
    JL

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    There is a wood/carpet case around the H model, thats why there is a slight increase in cost.

The MAG300H is a great amp, i have one. It is quite loud and does everything i need it to. All of the people who say 'buy a Behringer, its same for cheaper', i question whether they have tried the Ashdown, because from my experience, it is definitely not the same, otherwise it would be the same amp, which it clearly is not.

The MAG300H is a great amp and i highly recomend it for any purpose. It is loud and i dont think i will get a different amp head for many many years.

12. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I have A/B'd both heads and I agree, while the design of the Behringer is clearly "borrowed" from the MAG series, there are also a few significant differences. First off, the EQ on the Behringer is centered around different frequencies than the MAG, as is the frequencies enhanced by the deep and bright switches. The EQ on the Behringer seemed to be providing more db of cut and boost than the MAG. I also found the Behringer to have more punch than the MAG (maybe due to the built in limiter and "dynamizer" circuit, whatever that is). While I wasn't in a position to open the cases, I suspect the Behringer has a larger transformer (after all, something must account for the Behringer weighing 9lbs more than the MAG). Last but not least, Behringer added a footswitchable "Shape" knob that sweeps through varying degrees of cutting and boosting the lows, mids & highs.

If you're getting the impression that I favored the Behringer over the MAG, you'd be right. I hadn't planned on purchasing either head however... At least not until I came across someone selling several brand new boxed BX3000Ts on Ebay for $160 each. I figured I could use it as a backup.

- Frank.

13. I'm looking at getting the MAG 300H and the MAG 4x10. Anybody tried this? I've heard the Ashdown sound and am very impressed by it. I know i won't get the full power from the amp anyway as the cab is at 8 ohms but i think it'll be okay for what i need it for anyway.
    Is it a good idea to go for the 4x10 over a 2x10 and/or 1x15? What are the main differences between the two?
    Rob

14. See my early post about mag cabs !!

15. RichBowman

RichBowman

Jan 15, 2004
    Cambridge, UK.
    Had a MAG 300 head, thought it was excellent. I was so impressed with it I ended up buying an ABM, which has just blown me away. The main difference for me is that I'd end up tweaking the EQ of the MAG quite a fair bit, but the ABM sounds great flat, despite the quite powerful EQ available. The valve sounds good as well, though it's not massive overdrive, more grind (which is what they calm in all honesty). I never use the Octaver though.

Anyway, can't go wrong with Ashdown in my opinion. :smug:

16. Soz, which one? What I need to just get an idea of is it really worth saving and waiting longer to get a 1x15 and 2x10 or to get the 4x10? Just a thought, i dunno if i can afford the former set up anyways.
    Rob

17. I've been using an Ashdown ABM C115 300 in a huge variety of gigging/rehearsing/recording situations since 2000 and it has NEVER missed a beat.

Can't recommend this stuff too highly.

18. Yeh, that wouldn't be bad... but it depends what it finishes at, it's only 180 quid at the mo. Could go up quite a bit in three days...
    Though, that said, getting a s/h combo or something and then adding a cab isn't such a bad idea, something to consider i guess.
    Rob

19. It's always worked for me.

I tend to use the combo as a stand alone unit for rehearsals and small/medium stages and then add the 2x10 when I need to "move a bit more air". Best of both worlds really :)