ashdown MAG410T Vs. GK 410BLX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b-ace!, Aug 13, 2004.

1. b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    Hello, I have a dilemma and am in desererate need of some advice off follow TBer's. I'm trying to decide between the ashdown MAG410T and the GK 410BLX (backline) cabs. I have been advised that these are the best cabs within my budget (£400). I will be using it with a hartke 3500 head and will be doing everything slapping, tapping, picking and finger style so I'm looking for a good all rounder. if anyone has any advice/opinions/facts/stories, etc etc about (the sound of) these I would love to hear it. thanks for reading. :help:
  2. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i played teh GK cab soem time ago. and if i remember right it sounded pretty good. seemed to be clear and balanced. i didnt tap anything with it but i did slap out a riff or two and it sounded real good.

however, im biased and im a big ashdown guy. that mag cabinet could probably blow the gk out of the water. all the mags ive played have been super clear and just all around good. tap,slap, finger, plec...etc. so if i was you id go ashdown then save up and get a matching head. you wont go wrong. :D
  3. While I would prefer that you buy the GK cabinet, you should know that the 410BLX does not have a horn. The 410SBX does, but I don't know what it's UK price is or how it would compare to the Ashdown. For most bass players, a horn is not necessary and the GK BLX speaker has an extended high end.

Another distinct difference is that the Ashdown is a ported cabinet while the SBX is sealed. With a ported cabinet, the low end extends out further, but drops off rapidly, while a sealed cabinet will start its slope sooner, but will drop off much more gradually. That gives the sealed cabinet a smoother, tighter low end. Another nice thing about the sealed design is that it's much more consistent in tone regardless of how near or far you are from it.
  4. b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    So was that a vote for ashdown or GK, Daniel Elliott? I'm confused. :)

Also I am confused about all the talk about sealed and ported cabinets. sorry.
  5. Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I think Daniel was trying to give you facts without passing judgment himself, given his job.

Daniel, I was going to buy a 410RBH next week but am intrigued by the Neo 212. Is that available at Guitar Centers?
  6. bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    the ashdown is definitely the best all around cab. The gk is probably better for slap, but not very good for anything else.
  7. I have played both the Ashdown and the GK cabinets. The Ashdown is a little darker with a boomy low end. The GK is brighter with a smooth low end. They are comparible in performance just different flavors. You'll need to decide which you like better.

The 410BLX does not have a horn, so if you want a hi/fi slap tone, it won't accomadate that. If you're happy with an old school slap tone, it'll do that great. if you feel like you need a horn, go with the 410SBX instead. It's the same as the BLX but with a horn.

I personally leave the horn off when I play so for me, a horn is not important. I use GK cabs and hardly ever play slap style, so to say that the GK cab is only good for slap is a bit off the cuff.
  8. GC is currently not planning to carry the Neo cabs. You'll need to go with one of our independent dealers to get it. I like the Neo cabs better than the RBH because of their rich midrange tone. They also have an incredible amount of both low end and clarity. The RBH is louder and more agressive sounding.
  9. Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Darn. I'm not real thrilled with the other GK dealers in Austin. Oh well, thanks for the answer.
  10. b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    thanks for your advice Daniel, really appreciate it. what do you mean the ashdown is "darker"? does that mean its muddy?

also what sort of price difference is there between the GK 410SBX and the 410BLX?
  11. Ashdown cabinets don't sound muddy to me at all. It's just darker than the GK as in less bright. It doesn't make it better or worse than the gk, just a different flavor.
  12. b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    The annoying thing with the UK is that, its impossible to find a shop with all the amps in mind. I have tried the ashdown but would still like to try the GK 410 backline because

1) I want to have to the best cab possible for what I want to do.

2) I don't really want to contribute to indonesian/chinese slave labour that ashdown use for the MAG series cabs (if I have my facts right).

I want a good cab but not at the cost of an unethical purchase (excuse the pun) :)

how do people feel about that sort of thing? do people take that into consideration when buying amps? just curious.