1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown Mibass 400 1x10 combo: Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Need Gigs, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Hi All,
    I am considering acquiring one of these and its matching 1x12 extension cab for use with both my upright and slab basses. Does anyone have any experience running an upright through one of these light weight bad boys?

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Ashdown is a very reputable company. Since they are located in the UK, I'd certianly want to know what their service setup is in New Zeland, because sending an amp back to England, for warranty or repairs, could involve additional shipping charges and a understanding of repair vs sales in the UK. Items have to be correctly identified on customs declarations or VAT charges can occur. For a Double Bass Amp the Ashdown is missing separate High and Low Midrange controls. That's a deal breaker for me.

Ric

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  3. Cheers Ric, I haven't given much thought to the warranty aspect. Definitely something to look into. Besides the obvious "more control" reason, why do you prefer amps with a 4-band EQ?

Anyone else have any thoughts on the Mibass?

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    NG,
    The essential tone quality or timbre of a Double Bass, IME, lies in the Lower Midrange Frequency bands. Conversley, the Electric Bass benifits from a Upper midrange control. A 4 Band EQ, gives you the tools that are absolutely necessary to get the best sound from either instrument.

Ric

Need Gigs likes this.
  5. Hi Need Gigs, I'm a doubler in Napier. I agree totally with Ric Vice with regard to the eq section. Before I got my current setup, I did a huge amount of research on amps. I found that, as a general rule of thumb, Ashdown are regarded by rockabilly players, but not so much in other genres, and it's usually the larger Ashdown heads and cabs that are favoured by rockabilly players. I will say that I have never personally played Ashdown, so my research came from reading bass forums and reviews. Take that any way you like. Ultimately, every double bass and every player are so different that personal trying of any product is the only way to be 100% sure. One man's meat etc......

Need Gigs likes this.