Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Mini 10T versus Mini 10H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tombowlus, Jun 2, 2003.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I don't know if any of you saw the Ashdown Mini 10's that The Bass Place was selling very cheap on ebay, but I ordered one, believing that it was a Mini 10T, but it arrived today and it is labelled as a Mini 10H. There appears to be a tweeter, but there is no control for it, and it is listed as being rated at 150w (8 ohm), whereas I believe the 10T is 200w and has an on/off switch.

Does anyone know the scoop on the Mini 10H? I don't see anything on the Ashdown website about it (and I can't figure out how to e-mail them).

Thanks, Tom.

2. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    According to The Bass Place, they thought that they had picked up Mini 10T's, but the outside of the box does say Mini 10H on it.

Does anyone know the difference between these two?

Tom.

3. You can mail Ashdown through their website. They're generally pretty helpful. If you include your serial number they may be able to tell you specifics about what you've got.

4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I tried to e-mail them through their website, and it appears that this particular function is either not working right now, or just not working for me.

Tom.

5. Hmm...just looked at my Mini10T and noticed it's a Mini10H too. Same specs as you mentioned. I bought it about a year ago as a 10T, so I dunno. Maybe the 10T and 10H are the same thing. Does the Bass Place have a catalog or soemthing?

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It is my understanding that they got a special deal on these, and that they do not normally carry them.

Does your cab have a tweeter control of any kind? I was under the impression that the 10T had an on/off switch, whereas this cab has no control at all. Also, according to the Ashdown webpage lists the 10T as being 200w (still haven't figured out how to e-mail them - it looks like their HTML coding left out the "send" button).

Are you happy with your 10H(T?)?

Tom.

7. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Hmmm... I bought a mini 10(?) in February from BassNW. It has a 3 position switch for the horn (low, off, high). I'll check and see whether it is a 10T or a 10H when I get home tonight.

Cheers,
    Chris

[EDITED because I am an idiot!]

I was thinking 12" not 10" cabs. I own a 112T not a 110.

Sorry,
    Chris

8. My Mini12 has a horn switch, the 10 doesn't.

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Just wanted to add a comment here that The Bass Place is being very cool about this. They apparently were misled as to what products they were getting (told they were 10T's, but got 10H's). They do have several 10T's, and are sending me one. They have also sent me a return UPS label for the 10H. They have been very polite and professional about this situation, and I am very happy with the service.

Once the 10T comes in, I'll let you know the apparent differences. I know that the wattage handling is higher, but I am not sure just what type of tweeter control (if any) the 10T has.

Tom.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Okay, here's the latest in this on-going saga. I finally got the Mini 10T, after shipping the Mini 10H back to The Bass Place. But get this, it looks exactly the same, no tweeter control, and it has the same 150w rating as the Mini 10H, not the 200w rating advertised for the Mini 10T!

Now, I hate to be too picky here, but the wattage difference bothers me a bit. One, because cabs that handle 150 and less seem to have power handling issues, whereas cabs that handle 200 and more seem to be able to handle power above and beyond their rating. Do I have a scientific study to back this up? No, but my casual observation has picked this up. The second, and more bothersome fact, is that Ashdown advertises the Mini 10T as handling 200w, and right there on the back it says 150w. It makes you start doubting a lot of things...

Does anyone have a Mini 10T who can tell me what the power rating on the back is?

BTW, the Bass Place has been very helpful throughout all of this, and has offered to let me return the cab (again!) for a refund. I still have not been able to e-mail Ashdown from their website, and I really don't feel like making an international call...

Tom.

11. slowride

slowride

Jun 10, 2003
    Wheaton, IL
    I bet the one you bought is an older model. I found a reference to a Mini 10H that indicated it had a Jensen speaker and handled 150W. Looking at Ashdown's site, it appears that new ones are using a different speaker that handles more power (there was reference to a stiffer surround and thicker cone). They are probably the same because the factory used the same speaker but the updated model number, and that's why they are on closeout.

Also, try this email address:

info@ashdownmusic.co.uk

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks for the e-mail address. I fired off a message to Ashdown. We'll see what they have to say.

Thanks, Tom.

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Further update on this topic.

I did manage to get in touch with Ashdown (thanks to a little help from my friends!), and have the following information to share. Apparently, the driver in the Mini 10T handles 150w and the tweeter handles 50w, hence the 200w rating. However, because of this, sometimes the rating on the back of the cab is listed as 150w, and sometimes as 200w. So, mystery #1 solved.

As for mystery #2, the Mini 10H was the earlier version, which initially did not have a tweeter. Then, they added the tweeter to it. After this, the model name changed to Mini 10T. However, even later down the line, they removed the tweeter, as the 10 has a lot of highs on its own.

So, there you have it. As I understand it, then, there is no difference between a 10H with a tweeter, and a 10T with a tweeter (and presumably no difference between a 10H without a tweeter and a 10T without a tweeter).

All clear?

Tom.