Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Mini 15" Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arch Giddle, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Hey there fellow bassists

I just got me a Trace AH300 + 1518 Cab!

For those of you who don't know, the 1518 is a 15" Trace Cab that is the size and weight of a washing machine, which causes some problems, especially as I am off to university soon.

I was just wondering if anybody has had any experience with the new ashdown mini 15" cabs. Apparently they are about half the weight (20kg! surely some mistake?) of my current cab but have a better wattage rating.

I am considering selling off my Trace cab and putting the money towards a Mini 15 instead. Is this a good idea?

I think so, but I'm not sure how much Mini 15's are here in England (I saw some in the Birmingham Bass Centre a few weeks ago but I idn't look at them then).

Anybody know how much they cost?

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Couldn't say much about thew mini 15 - however, I believe that it is the same 15" cabinet that was used in the ELectric Blue 15 - which I do have! The combo in total weighs about 20kg, it has a nice deep sound, handles low B well and is highly portable.

I reckon that you will like the sound - especially if you liked the sound of the Trace kit!!!!

From my profile you can see that I too have a 1518 TE cab to compliment my TE 1048H and TE AH500 head. I found that the Ashdown combo gave me plenty of power and the right tone but was much more portable - it gets used for practice and also will be used for smaller gigs! The Trace rig will get used for the larger gigs!

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've got one of the mini 15's picked up at the London Bass Centre in July. As I recall, the price was about £425 - don't quote me on that though ;)

I'm a happy customer - my next step up will probably be a companion mini 4x8 from the same series (although I found it a little bit harsh sounding on it's own I think it would be an ideal companion).

Wulf

4. Thanks for the info guys

Keep bassin'

5. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    £425 is the list price but shop around and you'll do better. Sound control quoted me £350 last week.

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I think that sounds right. I was buying a head and part exchanging an old combo as well, so I agreed a price that was less than list. In my experience the London Bass Centre seem pretty amenable to doing reasonable deals on things so if you're down here ask them, with the list price in mind (and bassbloke's deal as a pretty good sounding reduction).

Wulf

7. You didn't say what this was to be used for - if you will be playing in a band or playing live at Uni, I can see where you are coming from. But if this is just for practice you'd be much better off to get a speaker chassis (like and Eminence @ www.eminence.com) pay about £40-60 and build a cab from chipboard from 'Do it All' or whoever's local - they'd even cut the sheets so all you have to do is screw it together and paint it matt black -cause that's the cheapest way to cover it. I got an Eminence Delta 15" for £56 from Allen Gordon Speakers - it's rated 300 watts. Is this the way to go for you? Lot of info on the net if it is.

8. Yeah I was planning on playing in a band with some friends so I'd rather buy a proper cab (though I did not know you could get eminences for that money!).

Thanks for the prices on the Ashdown guys! There is a Bass Centre and a Sound Control in Birmingham near me so I'll ask em there.