Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Mini 48 & 15 Cabs - any good for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by manmusic, Mar 14, 2006.

1. manmusic

manmusic

Mar 14, 2006
    South West - UK
    Has anyone got or used these cabs? Any good?

Presently I've got Mesa Boogie Bass400+ Amp and their full range 1516BE cabinet - both I bought new some years ago now and in excellent condition.

But I'm getting far too old to carry this weight/size around and I'm looking for something smaller, but without
    losing much of the power etc. Also I want a more tighter punch and although I don't play slap I want more of that compressed type sound with lots of mid etc. I have seen but not used the Ashdown Mini 48 and 15 cabs - do you think these would suit? Could/should I keep the Boogie head to drive these or is another amp more suitable and for the sound I am wanting?

I play live so need a good on-stage backline from my kit that I can feel and get in the groove with! But it doesn't need to be so loud that it blows the rest of the band away as our Martin PA sorts the FOH out OK.

A friend has small Transporter Hartke 2x10 and 1x15 which sounds good. Are alluminium cones all they're cracked up to be?

Thanks for any advice

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    That weight thing is catching up with me too.

I suspect you've checked out reviews in:

www.harmony-central.com

and

www.bgra.net

The British bass magazine did a product review on those cabs a couple of years back as did Bass Player. Have you see those reviews?

3. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Yeah, I used a Mini15 for a while. It was okay. I was not really that impressed with the back panel--pretty cheap rear componentry and jacks.