Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown mini cabinets.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndjx, May 7, 2003.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Can someone comment on the quality and sound of these? Also maybe how much these cabinets usually go for price wise? Their 4x8 looks really cool.

2. HotRatz

HotRatz Guest

Mar 13, 2003
    Portland, OR
    yo... i have the 4x8 and 1x15 minis - both great individually friggin rox together. the 4x8 is actually plenty of power for most gigs, it seems. i use it with a warwick thumb and an ashdown abm 300. excellent tone - sounds kinda harsh on its own but is great with the band...and that's what matters. besides, you can always dial out some mids if you want. the 1x15 is powerful and bassy, lacks the 'huge' sound of a bigger cab of course, but represents the low freqs very well. the two together is all the rig a player should really need. any gig these are not big enough for will be having a PA, you know? all those giant (HEAVY) rigs produce mondo <60hz freqs, but in most cases you can't use that anyway, just muds up the sound of the band. gotta leave room for the kick drum, man!

anyway, highly recommended. sweet looking and tightly built. only other contenders were Bag End and a Bergantino model, so check those too.

i love my rig now - whole stack fits in trunk of volvo and takes 1 trip to carry in w/my Rock'n'Roller (also recommended if u get these cabs)!

3. HotRatz

HotRatz Guest

Mar 13, 2003
    Portland, OR
    ohyeah price - paid $699 at BassNW for the 4x8, $399 for the 1x15. ABM 300s are like $799 i think, but I think I would recommend the ABM 500 - better wattage matchup. I'll be upgrading eventually.

cheers :D

4. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Cool. Say can anyone comment on the similarities between Ashdown and Trace? I love Trace heads and cabs and was wondering how different the two were or if Ashdown is better/worse etc. Thanks.

5. I use Ashdown Minis (4x8, 1x15) with a Trace head. I used to have trace cabs, but, I got fed up lugging them around.
    I prefer the Trace heads, but, if my Trace head ever dies and I can't get it fixed i'll go with Ashdown. I think Ashdown is more 'traditional' sounding, where as Trace amps have a very distinctive sound (which you either love or hate).

6. I love my Trace rig (AH250 into a 410). I've also tried the Ashdown ABM through an Ashdown 410 and 115. It sounded killer as well. If my Trace breaks down again (knock on wood) I'll be switching to Ashdown. The Trace cabs weigh a ton and are a backbreaker lugging up and down stairs. If I remember correctly, the Ashdown cabs were lighter.

7. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I am currently using an Ashdown EVO 300 with a mini 115 and 112H.

I don't use the horn on the 12".

I really love the sound of this rig! It works perfectly for the roots-rock trio I am in. I wanted the 4x8, but could not afford it at the time. Perhaps down the road a little.

Cheers,
    Chris