Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Mini Stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cosmo_Smallpiece, Sep 20, 2003.

1. I'm downsizing from my Bag End Mesa/Boogie rig to something lighter coz my old back is creaking. I was thinking of the Ashdown ABM500/Mini48/Mini15.

I've seen one or two detrimental comments about the Mini48 here, critisizing it's lack of volume. I would appreciate any advice from anyone who has this setup - JohnnyBoomBoom?, or any suggestions about a lighter wieght rig. The Bag End 4x10 is about 100lbs (will consider a 2x10) and the Mesa 1x15 about 65lbs.

I play in a cock rock band with two Marshall stack equipped guitar twats, so I need a fair amount of volume.

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If I remember correctly the ABM500 will only drive a 4ohm min. impedence.

I would suggest two BE D10B-D's or D10BX-D's, but that would be a 2ohm load.
    Don't know if one 2x10 would cut it with your band.

If you can get Aguilar stuff, you might try either two GS112s or one GS112 + one GS210.
    They're pretty efficient and sound pretty decent.

3. I'm using a mini Ashdown rig that consists of the ABM300, Mini 10 and Mini 12. It works very well for acoustic-based music, but it's surprisingly loud even in my regular band, with two guitar players, drums, keys, etc. Definitely worth looking into, IMO.
    [​IMG]

4. I was thinking along the lines of a 1x15 plus 2x10 or 4x8. Unfortunately neither Aguilar nor Bag End stuff is available over here. My Bag End cab was a special import I think, I've never seen another one.

I'd be happy with a 15 that weighed around 40 - 50lbs

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ashdown has announced new Compact-series 1x15 and 2x10T-cabs, by the way.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    'Scuze me?

7. You must be familiar with guitar twats. You get them in most bands. Characteristics include playing at deafening volume all the time, even in practise, wearing skin tight jeans, posing in practise, treating the bass player like an idiot and using Marshall 4x12s in a practise room that is only 12 feet square.

8. Bad_Boy

Bad_Boy

Sep 16, 2002
    Luton in UK
  9. Thanks for your advice.
    I finally decided to go for the Ashdown ABM 1x15 and 2x10 as they are an awful lot lighter than my present cabs, and fairly cheap too.

10. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Good choice!

This is my ABM EVO 300, mini 115, and 112H.

I have no volume problems with my loud trad-rock power trio.

Cheers,
    Chris

P.S. Can you tell that I love to show it off?

[​IMG]

11. I agree, Ashdown is great looking gear