Ashdown Mini to replace my Mesa Road Ready Jr?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wownirvana, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    Here's my dillema: Last summer I was in my local Music Go Round and found a Mesa Boogie Road Ready Jr. and was instantly intriqued. I'd never seen or heard of this cabinet before and I'm a big fan of unique speaker combinations so the 4x8 + 1x12 combination all in one cab seemed like a great idea. I bought it later that week and picked the cab up with my dad's truck since I was out riding around with him that day. I get it home and play it and this thing sounds amazing, I definitely made the right choice buying this cabinet. It's punchy with great low end and can get a bit boomy, sounds great with a little distortion, it's super loud and carries a 5 string great.

This is all well and good but the first time I go to move the amp I realize the problem. It's about 3" taller than my previous cabinet and won't fit in the trunk of my 2 door Honda. So the only way I can move this cabinet is to put it in the front seat of my car and that just barely fits so it is a pain to move this cabinet around. Well I bought a cheap new amp this year (Hartke Transporter 2x10 and 1x15 cabs) to play a few shows with since there was no way I could keep this beast in my tiny dorm room. I like these cabinets and they've served me well but it isn't really the sound I'm looking for.

I've been recently trying to figure out what I can do about my situation, I love the sound of my Mesa cab but I want the portability of my Hartke cabs because when I'm at college 9 months of the year my Mesa Cab is basically useless to me so no matter how good it sounds that just isn't worth it to me since I'll be in school for 3 more years and I have no clue when I'll be getting a new car. This brings us to my current situation, I'm looking for a cabinet or set of cabs that can give me a sound somewhat similar to my mesa cab.

The only solution I've thought of so far that I think would give me similar results would be the Ashdown Mini 4x8 and 1x15 cabs. Has anybody used these together? Can it give you a deep but punchy sound? Does each cab sound pretty good stand alone for practicing with a band? I've checked out the specs and the size and weight are A-OK with me, but I've never seen anyone around me carrying Ashdown cabs so I can't really go try them out. I've played a few Ashdown combos and I like the sound so I'm fairly confident buying them if others say these cabs are solid and sound good. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them too, I just want whatever will work best. Also if somebody wants to buy a monster Mesa cab or Hartke cabs send me an email ;)

Edit: Almost forgot to ask, I can't seem to find any prices for the mini 15 online and I only found 2 stores or so selling the mini 4x8, does anybody know a good online Ashdown dealer?
  2. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I currently own the ashdown 1x10 combo abm c110 300, its exactly the smae size as the mini cabs and about the same weight.

They are very easy to move, and fit in cars I think its actually possible to fit two cabs in the boots of most hatch backs, the only thing is they are quite heavy for their size, maybe thats not a problem for you, it isn't for me.

The 1x15 is excellent, I do however prefer the sound of my Hartke 115xl which is the model up from the transporter series, but if you take size into the equation then the ashdown is the clear winner, as the hartke is only marginally better sounding and thats only my opinion could be the whole sealed cab verses ported arguement.

I have yet to try the 4x8 but I'm pretty sure I'll be buying one as the extension to my 1x10 combo (unless I go a totally different direction and get a fafner and a 4x10), but I've heard nothing but good things about theses cab's they apparently handle low b fine if not better than fine.

For about a year Steve Lawson toured with a 1x10, 4 x8 and the abm 500 head and he loved them, I guess he would probably still be using them if his criterea for an amp hadn't changed so much (Small, Light STEREO, powered PA style).

Lots of people rave about the 4x8 and 1x15 combo so I say go for it neither are bad cabs and I'm sure they are amazing together

Hope this helps
  3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've got the mini 1x15 and love it. I found the mini 4x8 a bit harsh on it's own but have tried it in combination with the 1x15 several times - they make a great pair.

4. I use a mini 48 and mini 15 with an evo 500 head , terrific all round sound , easy to transport , for rehearsals I use the 48 on it's own with the bass contol up a bit and the treble down , it sounds exactly the same as a 4x10 , Ashdown themselves state that the mini 48 is the best cabinet they have ever designed.

Stores in the UK do not usually stock these cabinets and they are only built to order , I bought them unseen and untested and I was not dissapointed , I'm sure you will not be either :bassist:
  5. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Feel free to send me that Powerhouse Jnr..
  6. Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    Feel free to send me about $750+ and I'll get right on that.

Thanks for all the opinions in this thread, I think if I do decide to change cabinets I'll go for the 4x8 and 1x15 combo.