1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown MK500 / NV610 rig pics short review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Jul 26, 2008.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Well, it's another crappy, rainny day up here in northern ny so I thought that I'd finally post a review and some pics of my current rig.

I finally replaced my much used and loved ABM500 EVO-II head with a MK500 mark king amp. I was looking for the ashdown low mid punch but with a clearer top end. Man, this amp really delivers that and then some. It has way more treble response than the abm. One thing that I didn't expect to like some much was that the eq has several sliders for the low end. I have been able to use the bottom 2 sliders as low cuts for boomy rooms with great effect. With the Harmonic Emphasis engaged and at the noon position, I almost have my perfect sound with the eq flat. The di is also clearer than the abm though I do miss the tube overdrive.

Im running this head into my much loved bergantino nv610 cab. Im getting a very focused low end and mid range punch that my old eden xlt cabs weren't getting. It works better in bad rooms than my edens even though the edens were still really good. I miss the extra top end of the edens once in awhile but the HE control on the MK500 makes up for it mostly.

Over a month ago, I ran a comparison of the MK500 head into the nv610 with a vintage svt into the 610. I was amazed at how similiar they were than different through the same cab. They both had a similar mid range. The ashdown had tighter lows but the ampeg has the tube power amp warmth thing going on. Since then, I traded my ABM500 to a guy for his svt-2 non pro. The non pro sounds almost identicle to the 70's ampeg. I still havn't had a chance to try the svt into the berg at a decent level. Anyway here are some pics of the rig. Take note of the cool decepticon sticker!

2. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    more pics

3. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Nice! The MK500 is on my gas-list.

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Does your MK500 buzz a lot? The one I bought and returned had a nasty buzzing that would not go away no matter what I tried. It even got worse when I engaged the 12 band EQ. I talked to Ashdown's US tech, Mike, and he confirmed that the buzzing was normal!!! :eek:

5. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Mine is pretty quiet. If you have the HE control up high and are boosting highs and mids you will get some noise but most amps do that. Mine is pretty quite though. It is a really great live amp because the eq can really dial out problem rooms or be adjusted to used different cabs.

6. basscollection

basscollection

Oct 31, 2007
    Australia
    My MK buzzed like a "hair trimmer" :meh: great amp, but, this annoyed me enough to move it on.

7. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I posted my pics mostly so that folks could admire my rad decepticon decal!:smug:

8. Mr.Bullet

Mr.Bullet

Jul 26, 2008

Mike is the man

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Glad :meh: to hear that mine wasn't the only one to buzz like crazy, and that was with the 12 band EQ bypasssed and the HE set to minimum. I also had to have the input gain dimed to get a sort of reasonable signal (the VU meter averaged only -10 to -7dB, pretty low, even slamming the strings only got me to around -3dB!). Since most folks love their MK500s I guess mine was a bad unit. But I moved on to Markbass and am quite happy with it's performance.

10. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Congrats... (sounds like you got a smokin deal on that swap)

11. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    The guy had some "issues" so, I sent him back the svt and had Walter Harley mod my abm500. It now has a super flat response and a few other improvements. I'll have it on friday. There is another thread where I'll post the results.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021