1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashdown MK500 or Thunderfunk with El Whappo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Baron, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Baron

Baron

Jan 4, 2004
    Seattle
    Has anyone played through or owned both the Ashdown MK500 and Thunderfunk? Better yet, through a Accugroove El Whappo?

I am considering getting rid of my rack in favor of a couple of pedals and just a head. My playing is split between bridge p/u finger funk, aggressive slapping and occasional chordal/tapping work. I've heard the Thunderfunk pairs well with the Whappo, but I have not played one. I played the the MK500 and liked it, but did not demo through a Whappo.

Can anyone compare and contrast the Ashdown MK500 and Thunderfunk is terms of articlation, quiteness, warmth, tightness of lows and transient response? Which one would work well for me?

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Ha! I just wrote a detailed review of the Ashdown and TF, based on a recent comparison at LDS, and then realized you were asking about the Mark King version, which is very different from the standard Ashdown500 (which I like quite a bit). I briefly played the MK at Tom's house, and while it sounded good after some tweaking, the TF is a much superior amp IMO in almost every way (build quality, service and support, expansive tone controls, etc.)

I have read many posts lauding the Accugroove/TF pairing, and it is one of Dave Funk's favorite brands for use with his wonderful amp.