Ashdown? Need good Alternative/backup rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big String, Nov 21, 2000.

1. I have been doing a lot of reading on the strings, and have found many great ideas. I have mentioned this on some other strings, but I wanted to dedicate this one to my personal search. I mainly play a Mesa 400+ though a Mesa 2x10 and 1x15 and Lakland5594 maple. I also have another Mesa 1x15 to mix it up. I still have my Eden 4x10xlt and 210xlt with the WT500 upgraded to 600w. I don't use any effects. I'm tired of the Eden stuff, which I use for backup. I have found some potenial buyers for the Eden but do not want to be left without a backup (tube amps need back up IMO). I am not opposed to a head like Ashdown, but have not read much about them. My Lakland guy loves them though Epiphani 2x12, but it wasn't for me. I really can't say because I didn't check it out with the band (only true test IMO). Ashdown anyone??? Or please make an offer to my question. Sorry about the long post.

2. basspla915

Mar 28, 2000
    Bangor, Maine
    One of my rigs is an Ashdown ABM 500 amp pushing a Bag End, 1x15, coaxial. If you buy the Ashdown as a "backup", you will soon put your Mesa away!
  3. Big String,
    I also have an Ashdown ABM 500 as my main rig. Used to have a Mesa 400+ but found that I didn’t really need it anymore after getting the ABM. However I still do sometimes use the Mesa 1516BE cab that came with it.
    The Messa 400+ is a great amp and I'm not knocking it, but IMO doesn’t sound better than the Ashdown, plus too much maintenance and 12 expensive power tubes to justify it. It also let me down a couple of times on important gigs.

The Ashdown is definitely worth a try out.

I was thinking about an Eden 600 or 800 Amp to go with an Eden 2x15 cab that I have. I'm not so sure after reading your post. What don't you like about them? Let me know please, it could save me making an expensive mistake.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Why not just get another Mesa head?
  5. 915, Spike, and Brain,
    Thanks for the responses. I appreciate everyone's opinion. Today I tried out a ABM 500 through my own Mesa 2x10 and the Makin'Music's Mesa 15 in the store. I did not get the big test room so it was real hard to push it a bit. I was impressed though. I would really need to take one on the job to be sure it would do the trick for me. At this point, I still contend there is no solid state I have tried yet to beat my tube amp. I will have to give it a legit test soon. I have found the Eden sound to be very versitle, but again, it just does not compare to the all tube sound. I am at present, in love with the Mesa speakers and 400+. It's a heavy booger, and high maintinence too. Lot's of cons to having an all tuber. I alway like to play my Eden at home when I'm practicing or jammin with some other people. But I always can't wait to plug back into the Mesa. The Eden cabs are nice too, but I have found the 410XLT's bottom a little hard to controll at times. But it's a great (heavey and cumbersom) cabinet. I have the 210xlt also and am thinking about keep that one, but the rest of the Eden stuff is going. Also the Eden amp runs hot and the fan stays on forever. Just when I get the lower strings sounding good the higher strings (d and g) sound hollow and uneven compared to the A,E and B. I do not have that problem with the all tube equipment. Every note on every string in every position sounds even, smooth and clear. That is what sounds good to me. "One man's ceiling is another man's floor." I will give the Ashdown more consideration, and if I get one it will be the rack mounted version which cost more, and I can't see why. Should be less. ???
  6. Brian, I looked a little closer and noticed it's Brian not Brain. These bifocals are a pain in the rear. Brain is pretty cool though. Almost like an anagram thing. BTW, I am going to try a Mesa 2000 too.