Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bogart, May 19, 2004.

1. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    I'm looking into buying an Ashdown MAG 300 head and the Mag 8x10 cab. Eventually I'll look into picking up an ABM series or Ampeg head, so the MAG head is only temporary. If anyone out there in talkbass land has any real world experience or opinions, they are welcome.

2. Pöl

Pöl

May 31, 2003
    Belgium
    First of all, I think Ashdown doesn't sell a 8x10 in the mag range.

That said: I'm an Ashdown-fan. IMHO, a Mag head is (together with the Hartke 3500) the best bang for the buck around here (in Europe).
    I've got an ABM 500 head on order, for wich I've been working my ass off.

If you're eventually want to replace your head with something else, don't forget the ABM series.

But again: MAG series are very very very nice!!

3. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    In this new mail order catalog it's there, in all her beauty. Perhaps it's only available in the states?

4. Pöl

Pöl

May 31, 2003
    Belgium
    Sorry, my mistake. (long time since I checked their site)

That 8x10 looks pretty sweet, what's the price you pay for one?

5. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I think 300W head is not enough for 8x10". Better search for more watts... abm500?

6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    +1

About the MAG-300, that's a great head, probably one of the "best bang for the buck" around. Very deep, very versatile, many useful features, and loud.

7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    The 300 WILL drive an 8x10 ..... Easily :bassist:

8. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I know, but cab can handle 800W continious power, and I supose it will be used on big stages. So, why to be afraid of lacking a headroom?

9. 300 watts not enough for 8x10? HMMM, When the SVT came out that was usualy made to drive two!

10. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    the 300 watt mag head is only temp. My current rig is on loan from a bro, and I need to build something quick. My next purchase after this probably will be the ABM 500. Ty for the opinions

11. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I really like my Ashdown, but I have the RPM-1 EVOII preamp going into a bridged QSC PLX 1602. Wide variety of tones available, yet they do all have that deep ashdown sound.

I went with separates due to weight.