Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DanGouge, Mar 24, 2001.

1. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Just wondered if anyone's owned these or had much experience with them.
    -Dan

2. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i played one in the music store the other day. kinda warm and midrangy. not really the sound i like, but seems to be quality stuff. priced about like ampeg...

3. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    There was a thread quite recently about these amps where a couple of Tabbers had had these for a while - I've only had mine about a month of so and its great.

I've got the ABM 4*10 500 with a 15" extension cab. It wasn't cheap (about $2,200) but the sound quality is just awesome. I'm running the EQ almost flat and the bass out of it is incredible. At three out of ten its resonating (? not sure if thats the right word) enough to be felt through your feet on a coicrete floor. I ran it in a local studio at six for about 40 mins whilst dialing the sound in - I had a headache for four hours afterwards.

The harmoniser is basically a really nice octaver - its best described as having an in tune lorry roll past your door !

First gig with it I got accused of being too loud, which was countered with "No, you can just hear me for a change"

Great amp, great sound, great build quality, can't tell you about longevity, but I think the only think I'll replace it with is a rack mounted Ashdown.

9 out of 10.

4. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    I just recently purchased the ABM/RPM-1 pre amp and am very happy so far. Great tone shaping capabilities and easy to work with i.e., you don't need a phd in physics to operate it. I run mine through a Aguilar tube power amp and GS 410 cab. Even though you got alot of room to shape the sound with, I prefere a more flat setting live and use my bass for tone shaping. In case your curious, I purchased mine new on eBay through a company called the Bass Place and got an incredible deal! Their located in Tempe, Az. You call check them out on line at www.bassplace.com.

And no, I don't work for them, I just believe in sharing places that are willing to deal a fair price to the working stiff! :)

5. Jonathan Block

Jonathan Block

Mar 24, 2000
    CT, USA
    I've owned one of the new Ashdown Electric Blue combos, which shares the same preamp as the MAG range, minus the suboctave harmonizer. Nice warm sound, kinda like a UK version of an Ampeg sound.

6. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    [, I purchased mine new on eBay through a company called the Bass Place and got an incredible deal! Their located in Tempe, Az. You call check them out on line at www.bassplace.com.

Sorry, I put the wrong address. It's thebassplace.com. Sorry if anybody tried to find it. ( too many late nights)