Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown or Ebs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hassett, May 26, 2005.

1. hassett

hassett

May 26, 2005
    the eternal question Eh?
    Im now in the market for a new head nothing major so was just concidering the Ashdown evo 300 or the Ebs hd 350. it seems to be a subject that splits a lot of peoples down the middle.i play a Fender the deluxe series cross between the Jazz and percision. i was then thinking of adding 1 2x10 and 1 2x12 cab. i would really appreciate anty help with this, it really great to have access to people that really know what they're on about ,with unbiased opinions(unlike salespeople). Thanks Again
    Hassett

2. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    HD 350, is very very modern sound, and has the typical growl of ebs heads like a hi end growl.. Nice!!
    ashdown sound like a punchier and cleaner ampeg which ou can overdrive also!! also Lovely!!
    I'd go for the EBS as the 300 watt ashdown is kinda unsuficient!
    and also because I already own a ashdown!!!

3. hassett

hassett

May 26, 2005
    Hey lowmid thanks for that,
    do you find the ashdown unsuficciant volume wise, i know it depends basically on how hard the drummer hits and i do play with some meaty chaps so i am a bit worried bout it being only 325 Watt, i have reckoned that sure id be Di-ing it anywho
    Anyone any thoughts?
    Thanks again

4. You may want to consider the ABM 500 if you are thinking of getting an Ashdown. It is rated at 575 watts @ 4 ohms. The price isn't that much higher for nearly double the power of the 300. Volume wise, it won't make much difference, but you'll have more clean headroom. I bought the rackmount ABM 500 and have heard nothing but compliments on my bass tone. My drummer and guitar player both play pretty loud, but I haven't had any trouble keeping up. Note: I'm not saying the Ashdown is better than the EBS, just giving you my opinion of the Ashdown.

5. revlover

revlover

May 16, 2005
    I am currently looking at a new Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II Head which is going for quite a reasonable price.

I hear there are reliability issues with Ashdowns and you should count yourself lucky if you get one that works without crapping out on you.

Can anyone confirm/deny?

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^I've only heard reliability issues with the lower end stuff. The Evo amps i've only heard compliments and praise for. Which it deserves... VERY nice amp.

7. revlover

revlover

May 16, 2005
    OK thanks. It must be the disgruntled ones who are posting on harmony central!

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, thats the thing with the Internet. Less people who get an awesome amp see the need to go on the internet to post about it then people who get an amp that bums out on them, then they're annoyed and want to vent. Hence bad reviews.