Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown or Peavey

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DevinI, Apr 2, 2004.

1. DevinI

DevinI

Apr 1, 2004
  2. I'd say go for the Ashdown if you can get it that cheap.

3. DevinI

DevinI

Apr 1, 2004
    i can but only bad thing is, i'd have to wait a month or more, the peavey however i can get tomm and try it out before i play

4. If its urgent then go for the Peavey but if you can wait I'd say probably go for the Ashdown.

5. DevinI

DevinI

Apr 1, 2004
    but for one thing, ive never heard anything from ashdown, and i wont be able too untill its at my house and payed for, what if it has a ****ty tone? atleast i will know with peavey and avoid buying it

6. Got me there, I've heard Ashdowns are good, but some else please chime in to comment on the tone.

7. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    Ashdown.

8. DevinI

DevinI

Apr 1, 2004
    have u heard one before?

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you have a chance to try the Peavey, why not try it first? If you like it, buy it. Amps are way to subjective for anybody to decide for you. I have tried the MAG 400 (the forerunner to the amp you are looking at) with a 2x10 and liked it. But I have not tried that Peavey, so I can't compare. I can say I owned a Peavey TNT 115 for years and while I wasn't completely happy with the tone (the TNT is know for its muddy tone), it was solid and I *never* worried about it not working.

10. DevinI

DevinI

Apr 1, 2004
    thanks alot this input helps alot

only bad thing is i get so anxious (i dont know how its spelled)

a whole month with no amp this will be hard :((

11. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I have an Ashdown MAG-300R head w/matching 210 cabinet, I got them at a killer price and I couldn't dream of anything better in this price range. I'd say go Ashdown MAG.

Hope this helps,
    JL

12. Go for the ashdown, they're great :bassist: you can't go wrong with them

13. Ashdown. Warm sound, louder than a whore, built to last, put a fender jazz through it and hear the growl! If you do get the ashdown, save up and put the mag 4x10 on top. That will punch you in the throat!!!

14. If I may add, the ashdown will have way more headroom, letting you run it louder if you want. Deep and bright switches do nothing when you sit next to the amp, but stand 10-15 feet away and they are very powerful switches!! I don't regret buying mine. Bass plays a part in it too. My jazz growls, and my Precision thuds, but not a muddy thud, just round. This is both with DR marcus miller 100-40 strings on, same amp settings. Try them both and see what you like.